Newbie questions

Discussion related to classification of cars in the NEHA series.
eperot
AntiSpam: No

Newbie questions

Post by eperot »

Hi there...I'm Eric and I am considering trying a hillclimbing event this summer with my brother at Okemo. I have read through the classification rules but have some questions I was hoping someone could answer.
First, my car is a 1991 VW GTI, 8v. I would think it is stock enough to be considered unprepared, but there have been changes. The current engine is a stock 2.0 liter 4 from an A3 Golf replacing the original 1.8. Does that automatically mean it goes into a prepared class? In addition, it has larger brakes from an A3 VW and progressive lowering springs. Where then would this car classify? and as per the safety harness question, if this is a prepared car does that necessitate something more than the stock three-point seat belt?
Thanks in advance for advice. I've spent so many years skiing down Okemo that it would be a lot of fun for me to drive up it for a change. Carefully.
-Eric
walterclark

Re: Newbie questions

Post by walterclark »

Welcome!

We have written the classification rules to ensure drivers with slightly modified street cars have a way to compete with us.

The part in Classifications under Unprepared that says: "The engine is to be the original type and size for that year car." pretty much says it all since the 2.0 8V wasnt available until '93 - you will be classed in Street Prepared.

You should be in SP6. You can use the online calculator here: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B90 ... Nzdl&hl=en to figure your class versus vehicle characteristics.

You will find the stuff I summarize here in Technical and Safety Regulations: http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hil ... 11tech.pdf. You can run without a cage, harnesses and race suit so long as you remain slower than the breakout time. For Okemo that is 2 minutes 43 seconds. It will be a HUGE challenge to beat the breakout in your car as you have described it, so you need not worry about that. Just be sure your stock belt is in good condition (not frayed or failing to retract or lock when pulled), you have a proper and properly installed fire extinguisher - per the rules, you have a SA 2005 or SA2010 helmet (NOT an M20XX), and the car is safe to drive... e.g. Good tires, the brakes work, steering is good, the suspension bits are in good shape (worn/loose ball joints and tie rod ends are a common problem) and you are not leaking fluids.
The older I get the better I was.
eperot

Post by eperot »

Thanks for the info Walter. I would think it would be pretty difficult for me to beat the breakout time, especially because I take the idea of "safe fun" to heart. This is my daily driver and I certainly don't want to push too hard or risk life and limb.

So where do you have your fire extinguisher mounted in your golf, assuming that is your car in the avatar?

I'm assuming that the car needing to be able to pass VT state inspection means there will be inspectors on site during events? I am in New Jersey and all we check here is emissions these days so I better make sure everything is just fine so I can participate.

incidentally, what class is your golf in? What mods do you have done?

Thanks again
Eric
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Here is Walter's car: My 86 GTI Build

You do not need to pass any kind of state inspection. If you drive a car to the event, have a fire ext properly installed (2.5# ABC with metal bracket), proper helmet, and it passes the NEHA safety inspection (ball joints, tires, no leaks, wheel bearings, etc.) then you're on your way up the hill racing against the breakout time.

With my Golf, I mounted the fire ext on the passenger's side of the tunnel; bolts through the inside of the car and locking nuts on the outside (outside = where the exhaust is, but with the heat shield between the nuts and the exhaust).

Hope that helps.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Hi Eric,

We have 2 experienced tech people checking cars Friday afternoon and early Saturday morning before we start running. The tech is primarily a safety inspection and to avoid writing everything out in our rules some time ago it was decided to just reference the Vermont State safety inspections (since that is where we run these things). See: http://dmv.vermont.gov/safety/detailedinformation. Obviously we dont check everything on every car as that would take way too much time, but everything except emissions is fair game. In fact I think we may be more thorough inspectors than the one done at some approved places since we regularly fail cars that have recent inspection stickers. This is reasonable given the car is going to be subjected to 2 days of operating near, at or beyond 100% where a failure of a safety item...well you get the idea. The items I mentioned are things we look at on EVERY car, EVERY time, as they are critical to safety and in truth the things we most often find in need of attention (hence why we check). But, we will also notice a windshield crack running across the field of vision, excessive structural rust thru, or a missing headlight, etc. and we may require corrective action be taken before it can run if it presents a real safety issue at the event - or is specifically required by the technical rules for a class.

I recommend thru-bolting (bolts and nuts - not sheet metal screws) the extinguisher bracket to either the front passenger side floor/tunnel or to the rear passenger side floor or the frame below the front of the rear seat. Both places are quickly accessible by you and should keep a loose extinguisher out of your pedals in the slim chance it were to come loose.

Yes, that is my car in my Avatar. I initially built and ran it as a Group 2 performance rally car with SCCA and RA (and in a few hillclimbs), then around 2006, having run out of money and co-driver, I dedicated it to hillclimbing. It has run in Sp4 (now SP6) and SP5. It started life as an '86 GTI 8V. It is probably easier to list what hasnt been changed but here is a brief summary of where it is today. It is now a mix of '85-'92 Golf, Jetta and Passat, domestic and European bits thanks to donor cars, a couple significant crashes and a fatal failure to the original engine. The suspension is evolved from the rally setup with coilovers and the brakes are from the '91 Passat (A3 type setup). This winter I am repairing the damage from my off at Mt Washington 2011 to the body and rebuilding its 9A bottom end (the head was re-done 2 seasons ago) since the stock-original from a Passat was getting worn. I am also moving to P3 next year which permits me some added freedom to make improvements over the next couple seasons and to further lighten the car.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

The good news Eric is that there are a bunch of VW enthusiasts that run the hillclimbs. You will not lack for folks to talk to about hillclimbing a vw. While there isn't as many running as there was 10 years ago.....many folks that have vw experience are still running with us even if they aren't driving a vw currently. Occasionally they come out of the woodwork all at the same time.
mt philo 2011

Have fun.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Eric, Walter is one of the tech guys. Yes they look you over thoroughly-but the object is to make sure you are safe-not to try to fail you. You are allowed to fix something if it needs to be corrected (and having a VW-odds are you'll get 10 other owners telling you how + maybe helping you get it sorted). The main mistakes we see needing correcting is un secured batteries-or needing a cover over your positive terminal, the wrong fire ext. (must A-B-C--not just BC) a plastic bracket rather than metal-and the wrong helmet. It must be a SA rather than a M (motorcycle).
Being a Newbie, you also get to have rookie orientation (given by me) on Fri. A general rundown of procedures-a slow drive up the hill to show things to look for (and look out for) etc. and be availible to answer any questions you may have. We want you stay on the road as much as you do. One thing I say in the orientation-we never laugh at anyone who goes slow-but we do at rookies that go off. You are NEVER pressured to go any faster than you are comfortable with.

Get ready to get hooked on hillclimbing. ;)

Sherman
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

sachilles wrote:The good news Eric is that there are a bunch of VW enthusiasts that run the hillclimbs. You will not lack for folks to talk to about hillclimbing a vw. While there isn't as many running as there was 10 years ago.....many folks that have vw experience are still running with us even if they aren't driving a vw currently. Occasionally they come out of the woodwork all at the same time.
mt philo 2011

Have fun.
And no-you are not required to wear a black firesuit with a white stripe. :lol: Come to think of it, Walter-what color is your firesuit? ;)
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

sdwarf36 wrote: And no-you are not required to wear a black firesuit with a white stripe. :lol: Come to think of it, Walter-what color is your firesuit? ;)
Uh....Black with a white stripe. 8-)

I am not in the photo because I spend the Philo weekend at the top with Don and the wrecker (or somewhere on the hill pulling someone out of the bushes) while the rest of you are at the bottom and get to pose for glam pics and sign groupie boobies. :lol:
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

They were man boobies from what I heard so you didn't miss much. It was a MK1 photo, anyway.

I think Walter is the only MK2 on the hill. I have a MK4 (not at Philo in 2011). Good to see the MK1 numbers up again.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com