Rule clarification about Miatas

Discussion related to classification of cars in the NEHA series.
sdwarf36

Re: Rule clarification about Miatas

Post by sdwarf36 »

Sweatshirt.
Over 90* long sleeve t-shirt.
But that being said-heres a (not often mentioned) thought-Our rules cover things that will kill or seriously hurt you-not things that will minorly mess you up. You running topless I presume? What if you have an "easy off". You don't hit anything soild-you don't burn-but you're 12ft into a 20ft pricker bush. :( ** Is there something you're wearing you wish was different?
Way back when, I had just gone to check my time at finish at Philo. Jerry Driscoll (in a open wheel p1 car) had a long lazy spin off the last turn. He ended up aiming right for finish-stopping 20 ft short. :o Checking him out-determing if he was ok-we had to pull back branches + overgrowth to get near him. When we pushed(or towed-I dont remember) him backwards, I was standing next to the cockpit-i saw something that looked wrong. "STOP!" Something was in the driver compartment-it was a branch-about 1 1/2" thick-PIERCING the body panel + going right across his chest towards the other side of the car. There was 2ft of this branch stuck inside the car. I had to extract the branch before we could move the car.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Chief Geek
AntiSpam: No

Post by Chief Geek »

Denim. Good idea John. All of VT's finest menswear stores have large Carhartt sections. This will be easy. Good point about the gloves.

Sherm. Hardtop is bolted on. This combined with the rear half of a proper roll cage by Shenglehoffer Fabrication should improve our odds. I do agree that, at the right angle, a blunt broomstick could be punched through a Miata door. Door bars will be added before horsepower achieves 3 digit status but, for now, we're focusing on respecting our limits and keeping the shiny side up.
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
Chief Geek

Car classification

Post by Chief Geek »

Someone check my math. My car classification worksheet tallies up to S4, even though I could swear I was in S5.

curb weight = 2293 lbs
Displacement = 1840 cc

non-stock roll bars, +5%
non-stock springs, +5%
4 valves / cylinder, +20%
DOHC, +5%

adjusted engine size = 1840 * 1.35 = 2484 cc

cc/lb factor = 1.083

S5: < 1.060
S4: < 1.500

Why do I think Dave E had the car in S5 last year? My brain must be getting soft.

Paul
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

You can put the car in whatever class you want until someone protests. :)
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Your figures are correct. As Kevin points out, unless someone protests you can run in about any class you choose and it is seldom that anyone but the car owner completes the classification spreadsheet.
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

get your gvw from your door tag, deduct the two seats and start there as your weight.
You are 52 pounds away from sp5.

Dave was in U5 with the car. So I'm not sure what is up with the non-stock anti roll bars or non stock springs.....that may be your issue.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Don't you get some % back for having a cage?
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

sdwarf36 wrote:Don't you get some % back for having a cage?
If he had one ;)
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

We have half of a cage. It's all behind the driver's seat and, right now, acts as a robust roll-over bar.

I didn't take any of the full cage deduction. Is there such a thing as a half-roll-cage-deduction?

I'll check to door tag later this week. Walter's suggestion may make the difference.

Paul
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

sachilles wrote:Dave was in U5 with the car. So I'm not sure what is up with the non-stock anti roll bars or non stock springs.....that may be your issue.
Ah. Your right, I thought it was S5.

I don't know when Dave upgraded the shocks, springs, and anti-roll bar, it may have been after last May's Ascutney. He used the car for autox much more often than hillclimbing.