Yaris classification?

Discussion related to classification of cars in the NEHA series.
JohninVT
AntiSpam: No

Yaris classification?

Post by JohninVT »

I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris and I'd like to try hillclimbing(very, very slowly...lol) it. It has a header, catback exhaust and suspension mods but the spring perches haven't been altered. Reading the classification section brought up some questions;

The little 1.5l engine has vvti. That means I get a displacement bump?
I've obviously altered the stock exhaust manifold, so I guess that automatically throws me into Prepared against highly modded cars?
If I turbo or s/c, it looks like my actual displacement is doubled. The thought of running with older M3's and 911's has me shaking my head. Really?

I just want to have fun and be safe. I have no expectations other than to enjoy myself and hopefully drive the car home relatively unscathed. Having said that, the car puts out about 90hp at the wheels in stock trim and is MAYBE pushing 100hp as it sits now. Even if it was turbo'ed, it would top out around 175hp and s/c would be 140 or so.

Any guidance you guys could give me would be very appreciated.
sachilles

Re: Yaris classification?

Post by sachilles »

I think you are mis-reading.
Download the class deterimination worksheet(excel) on this web page. http://www.hillclimb.org/rulesregs.html
It will allow you to plug in the values. Your car as is would be in street prepared as I see it, my guess is sp5 or sp6, which doesn't put you with any of the older m3's or 911's.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Based on a quick look for specs of the car
I have it as 1500cc, whatever it's actual displacement is, may help
I have it as 2295 curb weight.
I have variable valve timing.
More than two valves per cylinder
non stock exhaust manifold

That puts you into SP5
If you use tires with a treadwear lower than 100 you'll get bumped into sp4.

If you add a cage and keep the interior in place you drop down to sp6.

So basically your car will range between sp4-sp6. I think the car can be competitive in sp5 and sp6.
If you wanted to be in sp4, it would free you to do just about any sp legal modification including forced induction.

We had one of members autocross a yaris a few times, with R compound tires, it looked ridiculously fun.
Sachilles
JohninVT

Post by JohninVT »

Wow...thanks for the quick reply.

The engine is 1,496cc

The Yaris has many, many variations around the world. Can I mix and match OEM parts from those models onto mine without penalty or can I only use Toyota or TRD parts sold in the US without incurring a penalty?
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

You can put on whatever you like, so long as the car still meets the street prepared category rules. The adjustment factors are what you want to watch out for. Doesn't need to be us market, heck doesn't need to be toyota.

As i see it, you'll max out into sp4, unless you swap in a new larger displacement motor.

NEHA in general is very inclusive. If the car is safe to drive, we'll find a class for you to run in.

My suggestion is to not go hog wild on modifications until you have a full season under your belt. Hillclimbing is enough different that the frame of reference of having several events under your belt is quite helpful.
Sachilles
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

The Yaris would actually fall in SP4? Doesn't seem possible.... that is where I am with my Golf (which is over 100HP)
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:The Yaris would actually fall in SP4? Doesn't seem possible.... that is where I am with my Golf (which is over 100HP)
only with a fair amount of modifications. As is he is in sp5.
Keep in mind the lack of cage means he misses a large "credit".
Sachilles
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

I'd hate to see a new competitor (who's taste in cars, I can relate to) get turned off by being classed with Steve's J's 142 psi of boost. Glad to hear he'll be lower.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

True. Though I think novice hillclimbers without a cage should not get too bogged down in what class they are running. Being subject to the break out sort of puts them all on a similar playing field.
Sachilles
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

No doubt. If the Yaris is of similar power and weight to my Mazda2, breaking out will take some work. Small cars are wonderful, but it's hard to be truly quick with something that seats 4 and gets 45 mpg.

It's a Miata for me this summer. Following the advice of #5 & #395, I'll make sure it has crappy tires and just learn. I can only hope that breaking out is one of my problems.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)