Anti-freeze restriction for 2011?

Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: Anti-freeze restriction for 2011?

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

With the exception of any 914's that might show up as I believe they are already in the 'two strikes' category. ;)
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

KevinGale wrote:I would add the rule and not try to enforce it at tech. Just like we don't try to enforce rules by doing engine tear downs. The rule would exist. Most people would follow it and when someone didn't and dumped coolant all over the course we would have a legitimate reason to yell at them. Seems like a good thing all around.

If someone shows up with coolant and you find out about it at tech you can just give them a one event waiver. No one is going to have a problem with that. Then they don't have a reason to dump coolant in the campground or parking lot.
I like this method. will get rid of most of the problem, and help teach the rest.
Nick
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:With the exception of any 914's that might show up as I believe they are already in the 'two strikes' category. ;)
I'll second that. :lol:
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

Why would a 914 need antifreeze :lol: :roll:
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

This all sounds reasonable to me. To borrow most of what Sherm stated it would look like this:

In Technical regulations:

5. GENERAL
E. Coolant
1. One-quart minimum nonpressurized overflow reservoir required or to meet manufacturer's specifications.
2. In classes P, FL and SP, the only coolant permitted is water, or water with a small amount of coolant system additive such as water wetter.

I removed the word overflow from 5.E and added it back to 5.E.1.

The "small amount" is sort of a gray area in that someone could argue 30% is small to them when I think we really mean around 5% (that is what Redline, Amsoil and Motul recommend). Comments?
The older I get the better I was.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

sciroccohp wrote:Why would a 914 need antifreeze :lol: :roll:
Just in case it didnt register...We have one 914 in particular that is liquid cooled, uses a regular antifreeze mix and puked all over the road twice last year.
The older I get the better I was.
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

If most of the manufacturers give similar recommendations regarding concentration, could the rule just say to follow those recommendations?

Something like-

2. In classes P, FL and SP, the only coolant permitted is water. Or water with the addition of a coolant system additive such as water wetter, following manufacturer recommendations regarding concentration.
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

walterclark wrote:
sciroccohp wrote:Why would a 914 need antifreeze :lol: :roll:
Just in case it didnt register...We have one 914 in particular that is liquid cooled, uses a regular antifreeze mix and puked all over the road twice last year.
I always forget that my sense of humor doesn't translate to text.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Comments?

Perfect Walter-short + to the point.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

For anyone thats new to the rules making process within the last 5 years or so-we used to have an "unwritten"rule that we were gonna do everything we could to keep the rules under 2 pages (hell-there was once a vote to NOT change the rules any more that ALMOST passed! :shock: )

That being said-the thing to remember is Don+ Walt have our best interests at heart-the club just needs a guide to let them know what we want-they enforce with common sense and experience. So (for example) just saying"no antifreeze" is fine-- going on and on about percentages-brands-colors etc etc. just make for a longer meeting-and more agravated racers waiting for people to stop making a short story long (and longer to get to the bar.) We shouldn't need a litigation lawyer in the writing or interpitation of any of our rules. 8-)
And Walter-if someone starts an argument with you in tech about what percentage they have-let me know-i'll come over + kick them in the nuts for you. ;)
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.