Proposal: Change in P Class Displacement

britracer89

Re: Proposal: Change in P Class Displacement

Post by britracer89 »

I don't know anything about the 8.0L rule.
On the 4cyl turbo: don't see the issue or why change the current rule. In the P class you build a car with a maximum potential power to weight ratio you run in that class. Why does it matter if it is a 4 turbo 4cyl or 16 cyl no turbo?

And since it was David that started this post....what's the matter? Afraid to play with the big boys?
DennisRacing3

Post by DennisRacing3 »

Unless your running formula car 16 cylinder(2.0L i think) there is no way it would fit into p2 anyway. The point I think David is making is with the new cars now there is a step between p2 and p1 and just trying to find a definition. Its similar to the way that the constitution was written a long time ago. We are very different then we were back then, so some rules could use revising. Similar to our new cars they have come a long way so maybe rules could use revising. Joey said the awd turbo cars are taking over the hills. But that's very different than a FWD or RWD turbo car. Just saying revision is not totally scandalous. :D
Racing on the edge isnt dangerous its a game
DennisRacing3

Post by DennisRacing3 »

3.0 liter in the sixties my bad.
Racing on the edge isnt dangerous its a game
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Couple things - 8 liters was an arbitrary limit, at the time it represented the largest production engine - and big strokers were VERY :shock: expensive. Displacement limits in this area are still pretty common to "big block" racing like DIRT, ISMA, and NHRA.

Second, look at all the factors when looking at P2. Dougie's Tiger gets there when he runs the small (390 cfm) carb - the figure in the factor is based on a 4412 carb on a V-8, or a 2300 2-barrel on a 2.2. And the caged Quantum proposed by sirrocohp would get the "stock tub" factor, originally intended for A/S, I/T, and comparable oval track calsses.

For instance, Drew's new "Junkyard dog" Camaro (ex-Swensen A/S car) with a 355, gets 24% in factors(stock tub, DOT tires), making the "factored" displacement 4426 cc - at the top of P2
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

with the all wheel drive and race tires I get around 4.7 liters. I would need to run DOT tires to sstay in P2. Not an issue yet but I think the original posters point is correct but I would suggest a -12 or 25% for FWD. I think that 2.5 turbos are taking over the hill but as far as I know they are all AWD. Even if you get an SRT to 500HP with FWD it is pretty useless. I have heard multiple times that in a FWD car and sport driving that you rreally have diminishing returns after about 250 HP. That of course is probably why the only P class with FWD cars is P4
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Not sure how I feel about a decreasing multiplier for FWD. Over the hillclimb season, we tend to get some not-so-perfect weather. In the rain, an equally powered FWD can have an advantage over a RWD car.

So what would everyone say to expanding the P2 class displacement limit to 5300 cc? This would include, as Walter suggested, all "small displacement" small block V8s as well as larger turbo 4 cylinders. I used a 318 ci V8 as the largest "small" small block, which is 5211 cc. More or less support, as opposed to a 5000cc limit?
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Smokey's last engine was a 318 (4.03 x 3.125) - you think that missle belongs in P2?
Increasing the current 4.5l limit in P2 to 4.75l would allow MadMax with 1 factor - stock tub, a 4412 (500 cfm) 2-barrel, or DOT tires, and allow SiroccoHP's Quantum combination too, I think.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151