Competition on both Saturday and Sunday

agrabau

Competition on both Saturday and Sunday

Post by agrabau »

Alex Grabau
email- grabau@gmail.com

General rule proposal- no change to existing written rule:

I would like to have runs from both Saturday and Sunday count toward the weekend results. For those who would like to practice on Saturday, they can do that all they want. Those who want to push on both days for a result could be free to do so.

Benefits also include having increased two-day participation, hedging against bad weather and more runs and chances at a good time. This is done in PA at their events and it works well. I'd like to see it in New England too.

I know that this is a little late. I forgot that the idea had to be introduced earlier than at the rules meeting. I hope it's met with open minds.

Alex
jkale

Re: Competition on both Saturday and Sunday

Post by jkale »

Ill support it.
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I can think of a couple of situations where it would be good--but heres where I see a problem with it:
Saturday is bright + sunny-45 cars get runs all day. It rains overnite-and the weather calls for off+ on showers in the morning. 5 people load up Sat nite because they heard the weather. 3 of them brought workers-that wont be back tomorrow.
Sunday morning its drizzling-a couple of people dont want to change tires over-a few others say the hell with it-their times from yesterday are good enough-and 1/2 of the workers with them say they're not gonna hang around all day. So now Sharon is scrambling for workers-she lost most of the wives/sons/friends that come with the racers because they were happy with just running saturday. So now 27 cars with a bunch of them doing the driver-worker thing. The weather starts clearing up at lunch-but a couple of more decided the dont need to go for a quicker time-so they leave. So now 20 cars are left running till the end of the day. The hills over-theres no real reason to hold awards because most have left already and the pickings for who will tear down the hill and down to 1/4 of what you would normally have.
Have this happen a couple of times + you'll get people fleeing before the end of Sun just so they dont get stuck with teardown again.
Yes, they do count both days in Pa--and this is the result.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
agrabau

Post by agrabau »

People will pack it in on Sunday regardless of timed runs on Sat. if the weather is bad. They'll take one run and leave.

In PA I think that the workers get paid. At least the event I did none of them drove and they stayed on their corners all weekend despite heavy rain so I don't think that's the problem in PA. Respectfully. I do get your point though.
kindabratty328

Post by kindabratty328 »

I worked one of the PA hillclimbs this past summer and the workers are definitely not getting paid. They don't even get to break for lunch. They work straight through and lunch is delivered to them. I think we had about a fifteen minute break before cars started running up the hill again. I also think that the big difference with tearing down the hill is that a lot of towns people help with the set-up and tear down of the hill. Kind of strange to be in a situation where the people in town actually LOVE the whole hillclimb process :o

Michele
Breathe in... breathe out... move on.
agrabau

Post by agrabau »

My apologies. I had heard that they were paid. I guess they just love it.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Just a couple of random thoughts.

What if you did the best run of saturday, AND the best of Sunday, so it's a cumulative of both days?

So for example if you best run saturday at philo was 1:05, and on Sunday it was 1:03, your time for the weekend is 2:08.

or weight it so Sunday is more important, but factors in both.

in the example above, where you use both your fastest time on Saturday AND Sunday, but weight Sunday double.
So Sat=1:05 and Sunday=1:03

1:05
1:03
1:03
_____
3:11 for your total time.

if you don't get a time on one of the days, you get the slowest (fast) time of the day plus 1 second)

This setup would reward the fastest time on each day, and give some one the incentive to stay both days, regardless of weather. On the Con side, it may prevent someone that has that one bonzai fast run, from placing well.

Real example of the first suggestion
top 5 at philo 2010
36 Baumann 1:11.04
065 Rhoads 1:11.05
111 Kale 1:11.10
3 Phillips 1:12.93
45 Cota 1:14.93

Best of both days(there are more than 5...cause it really jumbled stuff up)
Kale 2:28.3
Rhoads 2:31.14
House 2:36.85
Baumann 2:37.1
D Rielly 2:38.78
Anctil 2:39.77
Philips 2:39.79
C Rielly 2:40.12

Arlo didn't run on day one so he'd get the time of 1:36.7 for the first day, 1 second slower than slowest best time.
Cota 2:50.83

Sherman only did one run on Saturday(11th overall for the day), and likely dropped because of that.

If you weighted sunday double the top three ends up being
Kale 3:39.4
Rhoads 3:42.19
Baumann 3:48.14

Basically in this scenario it rewards someone that posts a top 5 time both days, as opposed the best time on sunday and a mid level time on Saturday.
It changes the game fundamentally, and I'm not sure I'm in love with it, but thought I'd put it out there in the discussion for people to digest.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
jkale

Post by jkale »

Hillclimbing has always been a game of "the fastest single run up the hill wins".. I dont think we should change that..
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

shhh.....I was just trying to help you beat Sherman at Philo. :lol:
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
DennisRacing3

Post by DennisRacing3 »

I kind of agree and disagree with the suggestion. I like the idea because it actually may create more consistency. The rally crosses work that way. But they accumulate all runs.< not a suggestion. Now I disagree for all wheel drive against two wheel drive cars because if its slightly moist or wet on one day the difference in times will be significantly different over the accumulation of both days. As it wont really affect unprepared and stree prepared it will affect P classes.
Racing on the edge isnt dangerous its a game