2012 Season: Rules Proposal Submissions

sachilles

Re: 2012 Season: Rules Proposal Submissions

Post by sachilles »

Is there a cliff notes version of the cage rule? Grandfather clause?
Wondering if I need to save my pennies for improvements before Ascutney etc.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Kiwi took notes.
Short form : under 2500lbs- min cage thickness .090"--over .125" on all cars build after 1-1-12. Cars built before and have run NEHA are grandfathered.
Seth-I would contact Don-your car was one that was in discussions with before rules were submitted. Nothing in the rules changed that would keep you out, but he has some suggestions.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

sdwarf36 wrote: Seth-I would contact Don-your car was one that was in discussions with before rules were submitted. Nothing in the rules changed that would keep you out, but he has some suggestions.
Jeez, now you make me nervous. :lol: So which car started the conversation, the one I wrecked or the one I currently run?
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
dsldubn
AntiSpam: No

Post by dsldubn »

.125" minimum wall? I thought the stuff came in .095 or .120 when I was buying it last winter...actually I know those were the choices I was given. I know we're talking about 5 thousands here, but it matters if it's written as the minimum..

regardless, my car ran last year with a cage so I guess I'm good to go (My car has 1.5" OD, .120" wall DOM anyway.)...and sounds like you would be good to go too Seth, since your car has run a couple years with the cage.
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
jkale

Post by jkale »

sdwarf36 wrote:Kiwi took notes.
Short form : under 2500lbs- min cage thickness .090"--over .125" on all cars build after 1-1-12. Cars built before and have run NEHA are grandfathered.
Seth-I would contact Don-your car was one that was in discussions with before rules were submitted. Nothing in the rules changed that would keep you out, but he has some suggestions.
Can we get the actual version of this rule up on the site please??

Im a bit confused if new cars that run need 1/8 wall cages.. thats 3 times wall thickness of a WRC cage...
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

I am concerned, we built a car during last season to the old rules. How do you know it was made before 1/1/12?
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Ok-sorry-.120-your safe. :?
It was brought up that if a cage is FIA legal, its good by tech according to the rules.
The rule Don submitted was to get rid of Chromoly cages-and after metalurgy lessons + arguements, it got amended to easily teched diameter + thickness.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Looking up a couple suppliers of DOM tube mild steel (1020) web sites I see in 1.5 and 1.75" .095 and .120 thickness stocked....NO .125. I did find a couple references to .125" in these diameters but only in older discussion threads and listings in unpriced supplier catalogs. It looks like .120 is more common and likely as not cheaper and easier to source as a result.

Was .125" a typo or deliberate for some reason? I think someone needs to address the requirement for .125" and perhaps change it to .120" which is readily available.
The older I get the better I was.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

.125 was a mistype on my part--geez. :roll: Yes its .120. Common thinking by me "1/8 wall".
jkale

Post by jkale »

sdwarf36 wrote:Ok-sorry-.120-your safe. :?
It was brought up that if a cage is FIA legal, its good by tech according to the rules.
The rule Don submitted was to get rid of Chromoly cages-and after metalurgy lessons + arguements, it got amended to easily teched diameter + thickness.
what is deleted from the existing rule? and what was added? wheres jamie?
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790