Steel Wheels?

drummingpariah
AntiSpam: No

Steel Wheels?

Post by drummingpariah »

I've been looking at getting some dedicated wheels that I won't feel bad about banging around on the hill this season. In an ideal world where budgets are unlimited, I'd probably just go with a set of 17" wheels because the DOT tire selection is excellent. This isn't an ideal world, though. The Datsun is relatively limited in wheel choices, because it sports a (somewhat nonstandard) 4x114.3 bolt pattern and has relatively narrow hubs (requires more backspacing than most cars). That means that I can get piles and piles of 14x5" wheels or sometimes if I'm lucky I'll find some 14x7 wheels, but the tire selection is abysmal and the profiles are going to flex a lot more than I'm comfortable with. Decent wheels that aren't destroyed are also kind of hard to find, and I'd feel bad if I mangled them.

Because the 14" wheels I have now are terrible and 17" wheels that fit this car are pretty pricey (roughly $1k per set of alloys, from what I've seen), I'm trying to find a good middle-ground. 15" seems like just the ticket, because that diameter is so ubiquitous and so many other cars (Miatas, Honda-everything) run them as a rule. I'm looking at 225/45-R15 tires (there are loads of them, and they'll fit the car without demanding body modifications), and have been seriously considering some inexpensive steel wheels (see http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clm-5 ... /overview/ - which would be about the right size). They're incredibly cheap, so I won't feel bad if they get banged around, and will fit nice consistent, predictable tires.

I'm wondering what others' experience with steel wheels has been, and if it's something I should shy away from or just go for.
sachilles

Re: Steel Wheels?

Post by sachilles »

Also look into diamond racing wheels, as they make them to order for around the same price as the one you linked. They can also be ordered in a range of offsets. They work fine and make good sense for hill climbing. 15" makes a lot of sense, as the tire choices are abundant. My only suggestion is to make you aware that some of them require lug nuts with a 45 degree taper to them, and those won't be a last minute purchase at autozone.....they aren't rare either, just not normal stock at most part stores.
Last edited by sachilles on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

4x4 1/2". Thats what I run. Datsun Toyota (and old Corvair!) ran them. Diamond wheel will make that pattern to whatever wheel you want. I'd go with 15's.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

sachilles wrote:Also look into diamond racing wheels, as they make them to order for around the same price as the one you linked. They can also be ordered in a range of offsets. They work fine and make good sense for hill climbing. 15" makes a lot of sense, as the tire choices are abundant. My only suggestion is to make you aware that some of them require lug nuts with a 45 degree taper to them, and those won't be a last minute purchase at autozone.....they aren't rare either, just not normal stock at most part stores.
Yeah, I just priced out 20 lug nuts with those wheels on Summit. I've seen diamond racing wheels on a few cars, but haven't had any experience with steel 'race' wheels myself. The only obvious disadvantage I could think of is weight, but I'm not at the point where I'm counting lbs. By the time I'm concerned about being competitive, I'll have gotten my money's worth out of these wheels. The biggest advantage I see to Summit is that they offer free shipping (shipping wheels adds up quickly!)
sdwarf36 wrote:4x4 1/2". Thats what I run. Datsun Toyota (and old Corvair!) ran them. Diamond wheel will make that pattern to whatever wheel you want. I'd go with 15's.
Yeah, Mustangs also ran them for awhile, but none came in any sizes that would work well. The 14x7.5's I have now are about as good as it gets. Another big problem with most of the Datsun/Toyota wheels is that they have too much backspacing and I'd end up hitting suspension if I wanted to run a reasonable width.

Maybe I'll place an order next week, after the car is running. I can't describe how exciting it is to see everything coming together.
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Lightweight steel wheels are close to aluminium in weight. Don't take 'em to GoonsRuS Tire - a moron can destroy them with a tire machine! (Hand mounting or an experienced pro = no problem)
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Mopar 151w2 wrote: Don't take 'em to GoonsRuS Tire - a moron can destroy them with a tire machine!
I think that is a secret franchise. They put other names on the sign but it's really the same operation.