tire recommendation

ast1994
AntiSpam: No

tire recommendation

Post by ast1994 »

hey all! i got a question lol. im just trying to see if anyone has any recommendations on an affordable tire to run okeme 2 with in august. My current tires wont last for okemo they are already pretty dead so its time to start shopping for new ones. I am planing to run my 06 civic si at okemo 2 in the uncaged group, the car is still a street car, so i am not looking to run slicks ( i dont think i am allowed to anyways) and i do have another set for the winter so these would be summer use only. I have been shopping around looking mostly at the Hankook RS3s and the BFGoodrich sport comp 2 both are review well, but i am wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them, or have had good experience with other tires?
3rdgendennis

Re: tire recommendation

Post by 3rdgendennis »

I have run Dunlop Direzza Z2's and Falken Azenis recently and both are awesome high performance street tires. The Direzzas are a little higher treadware and probably last a little longer. They are great in the rain too. Never ran the Falkens wet
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
RacingFrog

Post by RacingFrog »

ast1994 wrote:hey all! i got a question lol. im just trying to see if anyone has any recommendations on an affordable tire to run okeme 2 with in august. My current tires wont last for okemo they are already pretty dead so its time to start shopping for new ones. I am planing to run my 06 civic si at okemo 2 in the uncaged group, the car is still a street car, so i am not looking to run slicks ( i dont think i am allowed to anyways) and i do have another set for the winter so these would be summer use only. I have been shopping around looking mostly at the Hankook RS3s and the BFGoodrich sport comp 2 both are review well, but i am wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them, or have had good experience with other tires?
Scott has been running Michelin Pilot Super Sport on his Civic Si at the hills last year and liked them so much that he went for another set this year. It's a great tire all around, absolutely amazing in the wet, very predictable and progressive.
The RS3 will give you some more grip but it has absolutely no street manners. The BGF is made in the same Michelin plant as the PS2, a cheaper proposition than the PS2, never tried it so I can't comment on it.
--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

ast1994 wrote:hey all! i got a question lol. im just trying to see if anyone has any recommendations on an affordable tire to run okeme 2 with in august. My current tires wont last for okemo they are already pretty dead so its time to start shopping for new ones. I am planing to run my 06 civic si at okemo 2 in the uncaged group, the car is still a street car, so i am not looking to run slicks ( i dont think i am allowed to anyways) and i do have another set for the winter so these would be summer use only. I have been shopping around looking mostly at the Hankook RS3s and the BFGoodrich sport comp 2 both are review well, but i am wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them, or have had good experience with other tires?
Just to clarify regarding "slicks". Both U and SP must run DOT labeled tires and in U they must have a rated treadwear number not less than 50 . While full on race slicks are not normally DOT and thus not allowed there are a number of so called DOT-R tires that qualify and many are little more than race slicks with 2 grooves and a DOT label. As shown on the Classification Worksheet these tires may result in an 8% performance penalty, which may or may not be important (for instance if they would cause you to bump up a class).

For instance...

Hoosier A6 and A7, Hancook V214 and Kumho V710 are DOT labeled with a treadwear of 40 or less. They can be used in SP but not U. The Kumho V700 is rated at 50 and thus meets the rule for U.
The older I get the better I was.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Last season, I ran Kumho Ecsta XS' (140 treadwear) and was really happy with their overall feel. They may not have been the stickiest, but they gave a lot of feedback. This season, I'm running RA1's (100 treadwear) and there's a world of difference between the two, and unless these are also your street tires, I would absolutely recommend the RA1's.

I've also run BFGoodrich Rivals this season, and wasn't blown away with them. Direzza ZII's are great for what they are (street autocross tires), and seem to suit hillclimbs very well.