VW Golf 1.8T: Tire Recommendations

sciroccohp

Re: VW Golf 1.8T: Tire Recommendations

Post by sciroccohp »

5 inch backspace is the max I can run on my car ( I know your car is probably much different) but I guess my point is I did not have any issue with having the extra rim sticking out as long as nothing rubs. The SCCA gives it an importance that on the runoff stickers with car specific specs for the ease of the tech inspectors they put the min weight, displacement, and front and rear track are plastered on the fender. obviously track is midline to midline of the rims so if you had your backspace at 0 rather then 5 in on both sides you would increase track by 5 in total. an extreme case but I think they think it is an advantage and so didn't pontiac use that as a whole advertising campaign right before the end? sorry if this doesn't make sense I am exhausted.
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Steve - if your head is not spinning hard enough yet.. If you have a choice between single taper and double taper on the lugnuts - go for the double taper. They are impossible to put on backwards! When you get "helpers" like I get sometimes, that's a good thing.... If you're not tooled up already, a 1" deep socket is a great thing , and so is a cheap torque wrench deadicated to lug nuts. Light oil is the best lube for studs 'n nuts, if they are to be changed often. if not often, Anti-sieze compound is your friend.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

John.... it is spinning. So many options. I just want the car to stick. I finally go the car together today and road-tested the 6-speed. A big difference in gearing. To hold the car off the ground, I used my wife's studded snow tires.... at 28psi of boost they like to leave long back marks in 2nd and 3rd at 1/2 throttle... looking forward to stickier and wider tires at Ascutney. I'm measure the current rims on Sunday and order some 15x9's on Monday from Diamond. Next.... tires in the mail along with back up tires the same as I have right now on the 17's/

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Speedy Bill (Speedway Motors) has the double taper, 1" hex lug nuts in metric M12 x 1.5 thread for $0.75 each!
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Metric-1- ... ,6957.html

I struck out on threaded studs - must be 'cuz I'm still seeing wire #'s from Drew's recycled racer.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151