VW Golf 1.8T: Tire Recommendations

Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: VW Golf 1.8T: Tire Recommendations

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

That is what I have been seeing also... 16's hard to find. Based on the ad in Grassroots for TireRack, there are a number of 15x8 (even a 15x9... but it is heavy) rims available. Not cheap. I guess I will have to shift gears and go for the 15's. It would be great if they sold all this stuff locally so that I could just go down and look at it.

Seth... good for tires at the moment. Running 20x13's (10" rim/14" tire.... at least I think it is 14").

Thanks
Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

John, I have looked at Diamond (I like the D holes in black). Another option, I suppose. I don't think that I have a need for anything custom, but the prices might be better. Just need to determine offset, etc. Gotta figure this all out in one week as my goal is to have everything 100% done prior to May.

Steve
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

You might want to talk to Jim Lockton at IR Wheel. He bought all the tooling from R&R Wheel, which is where Bill Rutan used to get the rims for his custom-built wheels.
Google failed me when it came to Aero Weld wheels - Also, try Basset Wheels. Kevin has a couple of the spun rim, ultra light Aero Weld, IIRC - some nice, sick light...
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Thanks, John. I'll check those out also. I was researching Diamond Wheels last night; heck of a lot cheaper. There are 4 different styles that allow for 15x8 and 5x100 in black; only 3 are less than 20# each. I know the stock rims are 17x7, ET 38, hub of 57mm (or 57.10?), and the studs are 14mm with 1.5 pitch (length doesn't matter as long is good). I wish I got a good set of studs over the winter that weld to the hub; I'm not taking anything apart for this this year.

Anyway, I just need to apply the backspace from the stock rims to the 15x8 to determine what to order for a custom wheel.

Some more research.... thanks for the leads:
http://www.irwheel.com/
http://www.diamondracingwheels.com
http://www.aeroracewheels.com/
http://www.bassettwheel.com/
Number_5

Post by Number_5 »

I have been using Diamond on the RX7. They seem to hold up pretty good. Price was right!
John M
A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings.
Albert
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Making sure I have a clear understanding…

Stock rims are 7x17 with an ET of 38

This means, the centerline is 3.5” + ET (offset) of 1.5” (38mm = 1.5”), therefore the backspace is 5” (3.5” centerline + ET 1.5”)

Applying this to 8” and 9” rims, I’m assuming that I need to retain the same backspacing.

(rim width), (center line), (fixed backspace of 5”), therefore (backspace) minus (centerline) = (offset in inches) (ET in mm). All numbers are positive.

8” rim, 4” center, backspace of 5”, therefore 5” - 4” = 1” (ET 25mm)

9” rim, 4.5” center, backspace of 5”, therefore 5” - 4.5” = .5” (ET 13mm)

Is my math and understanding correct?

Are there concerns with getting the offset closer to the centerline?

Steve
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Here is a table that might be helpful:

It shows that a 7" wide wheel with 38mm offset has a 5.5" backspace. This is what you want to target with wider wheels. The difference in this and your number is due to the difference in where the "rim width" is measured and where backspace is measured to. See the rest of the article at https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace.

You should measure the tire clearances to the knuckles with the reference wheel you have mounted to be sure you are not real close now - if you are you might reduce the backspace a fraction of an inch.
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I think your math is sound. I know diamond prefers the backspace number.

I think a big concern with getting close to the centerline of the wheel is the width your are planning to run, you will likely have to worry about the inside of the wheel and tire rubbing on your coilover. So you need to be mindful of that clearance.
If you maintain the backspace of 5 inches, you should be ok in terms of clearance. However, what i'm uncertain of is if that makes sense for handling.
I'd think if for a 7 inch wide rim, if a 5" backspace was ideal.
I'd think for a 8'' wide rim, I'd think 5.7" backspace might be closer to ideal, but no idea if it clears your suspension.
I'd think for a 9" wide rim, I'd think 6.4" backspace might be closer to ideal, but no idea if it clears.

Just one more think to think about. I believe most of these steel rims use a 45 degree taper nut, which is different than many road going car wheels, so figure that into the budget and confirm with whom you buy the rims from.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

All good information (thanks!). I spoke with Diamond Racing today, and you're right Seth, they really wanted to know the backspacing. He also mentioned what Walter said... the posted rim size many not be the actual width. So, I'll make sure to measure the backspace on the rims by hand. I'm unsure how much space I have between the tire and the coil over, so I'll have to take that into account.

Seth, you are right about the nuts... I have taken that into account.

Steve