hoosier A6's

sciroccohp

hoosier A6's

Post by sciroccohp »

So I went and bought some A6's for the scirocco. Anyone have some hillclimb experience with these for some initial camber and air pressure settings? The car will weigh about 1800 lbs wet with driver. They are 255/40/13s in the front and 225/45/13s in the back. 500 lb spring in front and 300 in the rear. no swaybars anywhere. THANKS!
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: hoosier A6's

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Someone I know is trying to sell a set of wide steal rims if you are interested.... 10x13" / 4x100, I believe.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

I bought some panasports that are 8.5 wide but I have 4 unmounted spares so it would not hurt to have a spare set. can you get them to get me some info or is it you :D
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Not me. A friend of a friend. I told him your user name on here so he knows what he needs to do to get in contact with you.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

back on subject, any knowledge on these tires?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Hoosier recommends about 3 degree camber - generically for the A6/R6. The A1/A2 VW chassis is camber challenged and at stock ride heights it usually benefits with about 3 degrees front camber. If the car has been lowered and the geometry not corrected (raising the steering knuckle so the lower control arm is no worse than level when sitting) it needs even more static camber to compensate for the immediate positive camber direction it moves under cornering loads and bumps.
The older I get the better I was.
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

cool, I have always found that my car for some reason usually runs at least 1 degree less then recommendation from the manufaturers. BUT I have also run 800 lb springs in the front and 600 in the rear with 2 shine bars. So I am concerned about the softer settings (I lost fillings on the first hillclimb I did with that set up) My car is lowered and the steering geometry corrected. I was hoping someone had some air pressure advice too since I am not sure what the optimum pressures (or temps) are. I know what they recommend for autocross but didn't know if anyone had hillclimbed with them before.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I dont use the A6, I got the info from their literature. I use V710's. The literature also recommends a minimum and range of air pressure.

Additional springs stiffness and/or rollbar can reduce the static camber requirement of the car (not so much the tire), but as you found out the stiffness that is OK roadracing is not necessarily OK hillclimbing.

I use 400# front 300# rear springs and the stock GTI swaybars and my car is about 2200 pounds empty and dry. The car is lower than stock and the front suspension geometry is corrected. This spring rate set feels about as stiff as I could tolerate above the bridge at Ascutney. Maybe a nudge up to 500/375 would work too but my struts would have to be revalved as I am at the upper end of the spring rates for the present valving. I am certain I am compressing to the front damper internal bump stops which are shorter than stock in parts of this upper section but not severely enough as to upset the chassis except at turn 29 where I am probably bottoming out because the car jumps a bit to the outside in the turn.
Last edited by walterclark on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the better I was.
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

I am coming the other way as if I go much softer the shocks would need to be revalved. I will probably throw some numbers in and hope for the best. It would suck to have to adjust camber at ascutney I don't remeber a level surface anywhere. I was just hoping to make the guesses more educated.
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

The huge road crown at Ascutney makes camber and toe pretty much a crapshoot.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151