what tire size 8.25 inch wide wheel.

presterone1
AntiSpam: No

what tire size 8.25 inch wide wheel.

Post by presterone1 »

For hill climbs I'm wondering what size tire to choose for these 15inch 8.25 wheels. Also if I were to fit the widest tires possible on this wheel would the tire roll more and promote under steer? Possibly have a wider range of slip before completely losing traction? Would a tighter fitting tire have better turn in but less forgiving beyond ideal slip angle. Learn me wise ones.
Mopar 151w2

Re: what tire size 8.25 inch wide wheel.

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Generally speaking, the bigger tire for the rim will have more slip angle, and will roll more under cornering. Looking at the Hoosier spec charts on TireRack, it looks like 225 to 255 is your range for that width rim. What aspect ratio do you want to use? IMHO, as the sidewall gets shorter, you want to be the rim width to be closer to the section width 8-)
presterone1

Post by presterone1 »

I do want a decent sidewall as I will be driving this on the street occasionally. So maybe 235/45 ?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I have driven 225/40x18 on 8" wide wheels on my A4 for 12 seasons now without damaging or destroying either a wheel or tire. I mount them after Easter and switch to winter tires (205/55x16) at Thanksgiving. I AM careful though...and maybe a bit lucky in that I have been able to avoid all but 1 pothole and 1 piece of boilerplate in that time. Those 2 were literally gut wrenching to hit, but the SSR wheels and Michelin tires were up to the challenge.
The older I get the better I was.
presterone1

Post by presterone1 »

Boilerplate? ouch. Thanks guys I will look at pricing and see whats available.