Green Stuff pads?

britracer89

Green Stuff pads?

Post by britracer89 »

Anyone used Green Stuff brake pads before? Any comments/opinions? I need to get new pads for the Spitfire race car.
Thanks, Brian
walterclark

Re: Green Stuff pads?

Post by walterclark »

I used them twice on my A4 (about 3400 pounds). The first set - installed in the summer of 2000 were good (great bite, low rotor damage low dust) until I cooked them at a BMW club autocross in 2001, I used them after that but the bite dropped off and they generated a lot of dust. The second set were labeled "V4" and they were hard as heck on the rotors (my new rotors looked like Ruffles potato chips in short order). They did last a long time. My 3rd set are Mintex "C" and for the street seem just right.

The Greenstuff pads are supposed to be for street and occasional track or autocross use (on very light cars), but my son who drives a Mini, says the popular setup among Mini enthusiasts is the Yellowstuff pads for the same use. If I were going with EBC, I think I would go Yellowstuff.

Personally, I really like the Hawk HT-10. I started using these while rallying and find them excellent for hilllcimbing - decent and predictable initial bite, no heat fade (such as on a bring downs), fairly easy on rotors and long lasting. I only use them on the front since my car does about 90% of its braking there, HT-10's cost a lot and rear pads would work well enough if made from art gum erasers. I use Pagid pads on the rear.
Last edited by walterclark on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I've used the green, red and the yellow. I really like the yellows. I think you'll find they'd be well suited for hillclimbs. They handle the heat pretty well, and they get to full grip very quickly without a noticeable drop in stopping power, even when they get a ton of heat. My experience is most with subaru's with there product, but did use the red on my old Audi A4.
The greens may also work fine on the spitfire, but won't have as much grip as the yellows.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
honda#72
AntiSpam: No

Post by honda#72 »

I recommend the yellowstuff. I have run them on my last Prelude, and on the S2000. When I showed up at tech the first time with them, someone said I wouldn't stop before the first turn. However, in recent years the new hybrid yellowstuffs have broadend their operating temperatures. They work very well from cold to blistering hot. They have a great initial bite, and the newer formula can even be driven on the street. My opinion great pad for a good price.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I assume we are talking about EBC brake pads.

Used to have green then blue. Now have yellows. No issue with initial bite with the yellows (thinking corner 1 at Ascutney) as I ride the brake a little from the start line. Use the greens on the track a little, but needed more.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

It appears ebc does not make yellow for my Triumph. Anyone have any experience with Hawk HP Plus auto-x /track pads?
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

They worked well on the STI for hillclimbs, and autoX. They dont have extreme bite to them, but they were consistent hot or cold. Had a set on our Legacy GT and they worked well during the summer, but didnt work at all in the winter unless you got some heat in them. we did end up swapping them out. So just avoid winter driving.
Nick
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Check with EBC, I believe they'll do them as a special order if you can provide them with an old set of backing plates.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I think the issue is they dont have pads in the yellow. They do make a green compound for the Spitfire so they know what is needed. Still, they may be willing to make a set with the yellow compound.
The older I get the better I was.
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

DId you try these guys?
http://www.perfectbrakes.com/
They were one of the few to carry pads for the Wilwood setup on my subaru.
I was previously running Yellow Stuffs and just upgraded to Blue Stuff. I'm hoping they're not too much for hillclimbs.