Brake advice for a newbie

Chief Geek
AntiSpam: No

Brake advice for a newbie

Post by Chief Geek »

I have it on good authority that learning to heel-toe downshift should be near the top of my to-do list, driver-development-wise. On Saturday @ Ascutney, I was using 2nd almost exlusively, but by Sunday my confidence, course knowledge, and corner exit speeds improved so 3rd was required. The car is "torque limited" so I can't do the non-shifting Gale-technique.

Initial reports are that my well-bled brake system still allows too much pedal travel for easy heal-toe-ing. I'm sure it's workable for drivers with a clue but, at my level, "more simpler is more better".

Thinking about hydraulic stiffness, I bet replacing the 20 year old rubber hoses with something stiffer is one of the more cost-effective upgrades.

Opinions?

Any recommendations on sources/brands/styles of brake lines for NA/Gen1 Miatas?

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
walterclark

Re: Brake advice for a newbie

Post by walterclark »

PTFE core steel braid hoses will certainly improve pedal feel and possibly reduce pedal travel a bit. I get my stuff from suppliers for German cars so am not sure who is good and reasonable for stuff for Japanese makes. Flyin' Miata and MossMiata both are reputable supplier of high performance stuff for Miata according to GRM.
The older I get the better I was.