Rocker switch

Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Rocker switch

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Old switch in the Scirocco.... either trying to match what is there exactly, or replace both switches so that they look the same.

This is the starter switch that doesn't work all the time. How do I know the AMPs of the switch (I assume I care)? This is a momentary on toggle switch.

Body of switch is 1.25" by .75"

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sachilles

Re: Rocker switch

Post by sachilles »

There should be some sort of marking on the plastic to indicate the amps, but it may have melted.

speedway motors has a bunch of ignition switches that would probably fit the bill for you and they are priced right.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... ,3158.html
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Get a Cole-Hersee catalog from your old-line parts store, or check them out online - they manufacture a s*^%load of different switches, including many of the ones used in the racing switch panels. Many other handy auto/truck/marine electrical parts as well.
http://www.colehersee.com/catalog_top/index.htmImage
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

Id also recommend the CH stuff. I have used a lot of their marine products and it all seams to work well and last.
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

You should talk to Jason Russell. He has a bunch on that stuff in stock, and could probably answer your questions at the same time.
Nick
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

STI NICK wrote:You should talk to Jason Russell. He has a bunch on that stuff in stock, and could probably answer your questions at the same time.
Good idea.
drvalliere

Post by drvalliere »

rabbit boy you don't want to activate your starter solonoid with a toggle switch. you only use the switch to signal a relay.... you'r switch won't need to be heavy duty at all almost anything will do. lots of 30 amp relays available way cheap very easy and starter will go every time
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

drvalliere wrote:rabbit boy you don't want to activate your starter solonoid with a toggle switch. you only use the switch to signal a relay.... you'r switch won't need to be heavy duty at all almost anything will do. lots of 30 amp relays available way cheap very easy and starter will go every time
Dave.

This is Bill Rutan's old Scirocco so I'm sure he has it wired properly. I just wasn't sure what concerns I should have with amps with the switch. I'm not the electrical genius....

Steve
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Here is a thought.

Clean up the old momentary rocker switch contacts so it more or less works (i.e. works well enough if you dont have a lot of current going thru it). Then install a 30A Bosch automotive relay to control the starter solenoid the relays coil driven by this switch. It will last as long as the pivots since the contacts will be drawing almost nothing and you dont have to try to find an exact match replacement.

I did this with my headlight switch on the GTI. Took a switch that was about dead and made it so it will outlast the car...
The older I get the better I was.