Performance data capture and analysis

walterclark

Performance data capture and analysis

Post by walterclark »

I thought we should have a topic to share what driving performance improvement tools we have, what we collect, how we analyze it and what it has changed. So this is it. Share away!

Mine have been pretty rudimentary.

The simplest was the stones on the red Nissan Don brought to Ascutney and Philo for some of us to use. The tool there for me was the tire squealing. If they werent I wasnt driving fast enough.

Next is my in-car video. Initially it was put in just to capture me driving (see honey I really did go racing last weekend). Then I added 3 little LEDs on a panel so I could tell how I was working the pedals - very useful. I was immediately faced with the reality that I lifted in places where I didnt really need to and that I lifted and started braking way too early for turns (despite a small voice in my head screaming otherwise). For instance the little jog going into the condos (turn 5) at Okemo used to cause me to subconsciously lift when it wasnt really necessary with my car. I saw that on an early video and corrected it by forcing my right foot to stay planted on the throttle until braking into turn 7 (if I give the gerbils under the hood a moments rest they get lazy). Another thing I learned from the videos in the same sequence - I was lifting and coasting, then braking way too early on the turn 7 approach.
The older I get the better I was.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: Performance data capture and analysis

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I have not used any electronically gathered data to anaylze my runs. I do watch my videos to get a good understanding what I am doing on each run. Much of my "analysis" is done at the very top of the hill where I review all my "that wasn't right!" mental comments from areas that I was aware I messed up while driving up the hill.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

I have been using the MaxQdata GPS software to collect data. Works really well. I am able to overlay it with the video I take and it gives you a pretty good idea of whats going on. The down side is the company has pretty much fallen apart, and now you cant get anything out of them. I have heard the company has switched hands, but I am not having any luck getting in touch with them. I need a new license key for the software as I have bought a new computer, and you need a new license key every time you reload the software. pain.... So I guess if they ever get their act together some people might want to try it.

here is a quick video. Now you can select from a number of things to put up on the screen. This is just what I have figured out so far.
Nick
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I've also used Maxqdata, and I'm going to try trackmaster by trackaroo(android) this year.
I think the key for me is to look at the data after a run so I can adapt(easier said than done most times). Then later to use it to overlay on video.

Despite their problems, the basic software of maxqdata can do some pretty cool things even without the video overlay. After reading the grassroots article and going back to some of my datalogs I've learned quite a bit, and look forward to new data this year. Just the speed graphs synced with your track log tell a lot. Helps me with my obsession with slmp.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

I guess maxqdata is making an effort. I just got the code I needed for the software. Guess I will be using it for Washington after all. Now to buy an HD camera.
Nick