weight of 20' enclosed car trailers ?

Mopar 151

Re: weight of 20' enclosed car trailers ?

Post by Mopar 151 »

I got slowed up / maybe cut off towing into the Sugarhouse entrance of the Burke Campground. That poor truck.....It was the cheapspec Chevy 6 banger with a 3-speed.And I'd seen my first Pro tractor pull the week before - :twisted: . :o :x Last try ;Jacknife the trailer to get a gradual start on the full weight. Wind up the 110 horsepower and pop the clutch! Smokin' the tires start pullin" the trailer straight - stall the engine from WFO. :!: :evil:
Hadda unload the car on the spot, mutter, mutter, mutter. And the rusty pile of soulless evil that was Backwoods Racing's trailer then had no brakes- but it was pretty light, and stopped OK behind a good truck with weight in the bed. Not that flimsy flivver... It took brakes as kind of a suggestion, maybe, along about the time the firewall was bending.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
honda#72
AntiSpam: No

Post by honda#72 »

The 7K 20' enclosed v nose I plan on getting next week is rated for 600 lbs less than the 09 half ton with HD tow package and 3.73's, I just bought (7,600 lbs conventional, more with 5th wheel). I figure if I load the trailer to the max, which I hope not to do, then I have 600 lbs extra that I can be loaded in the bed or cab, like the little lady and the dog, etc. Could have gotten a 16' but wanted the extra room to be able to sleep in the trailer with the car if needed. Also wanted a trailer that could do 4 sleds if needed. I bought the 5.3 liter half ton with the HD tow package and 3.73 instead of a 3/4 ton because I figure the 3/4 ton would be over kill with only the 2 place sled trailer on long trips and, felt I only would drive a 3/4 only to tow with. At 19 mpg highway the 5.3 1/2 ton with cylinder deactivation is daily driveable. If I upgrade to 4.10's I can tow an additional 1,000 lbs with the 1/2 ton (8,600 conventional, about 500 more with 5th wheel) at the expense of mpg's. Worst case, if the current setup won't cut it, than add the 4.10's, if that still lags, than trade in the 1/2 ton for a 3/4 and only drive it to tow with. But at that point I may keep the 1/2 ton for home ownership and the sleds, and get a 3/4 ton van or box truck only for racing.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Basically, if you drop about 3" off tire diameter, you can accomplish the same thing as the rear gear change. You will probably be OK with your new truck - the 76oo GVW tells me that it has rugged enough tires. A couple things to watch - keep your rear overhang (centerline of axle to hitch ball) short, and use a good trailer brake controller and wire it correctly.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151