Battery tie down

sachilles

Battery tie down

Post by sachilles »

In the process of swapping scrappy's motor, I took out his battery tie down and put it in a safe place. The problem is that I can't find that safe place to save my life. :oops: :lol: .
The stock bracket is all metal. I went to the parts store and got a generic bracket, and part of it is plastic. Rules don't specifically ban plastic on the battery, but we don't allow plastic on the fire bottle mount.
So my question is, will I get dinged for a plastic battery tie down?
Looks like the one below. It will be retained with metal rods.
I can swap out the one from my street subie to the race car, and put the plastic one in the street car if that is preferable.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Re: Battery tie down

Post by walterclark »

There is no requirement regarding material for this. The extinguisher bracket rule came about because there are so many really poor brackets, not intended for vehicle use, made of plastic that will not retain a bottle in an impact. So long as the battery is secure with the one you bought it is OK. You should decide. If you think your battery will stay in place with the plastic one, then use it. If you have doubts, then swap it for the metal bracket.
The older I get the better I was.
Mopar 151w2
AntiSpam: No

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Better a plastic clamp in good shape then a steel one rotted to crumbs..... I used the OE Ford plastic "handle" style for years, never had a problem 'til I got a battery that was'nt meant to be clamped from the top.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Seth... I use the plastic top bracket you have pictured along with metal J hooks that connect to a full lower pan. Bolts through the pan, plastic box, and floor of the car worked for me.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I've gone with the plastic top piece.
Thanks everyone.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66