AGM battery charger $50

For Sale (FS), Want to Buy (WTB), or Free cars or car parts
walterclark

AGM battery charger $50

Post by walterclark »

Great for smaller (10-30AH) AGM batteries. I used this model for 8 seasons to keep up one Odyssey PC680, which has now been retired because the battery has simply worn down so the CCA isnt always sufficient to start the GTI unless it has been fully charged. This happens to all batteries, most noticable on small (light weight) ones with limted power to begin with... This specific unit is 3 years old. New products with similar performance sell for $100-$200.

If you use an AGM battery in your car you want a charger specifically aimed at charging an AGM. Chargers for flooded cell and gel cell batteries will not completely charge an AGM or maintain that charge over time. Standard vehicle charging systems (alternator and regulator) are not designed to do it either. In most cases your AGM will never get much beyond 75-90% of capacity with either. If you drive around with a 75 pound 100AH AGM battery in your car, chances are it wont be an issue when it comes to starting, but if your car uses a 15 pound 17AH AGM it will. Even in the former case, the difference between an alternator only charge and a proper AGM charger charge is very noticeable during cranking. Madeline's E550 with a 90AH is a great example you have to experience to appreciate.

Model OMAX-12A-1B 12A "3 step" battery charger. Optimized for small and medium sized AGM batteries. It was designed for Odyssey AGM batteries up to 20AH but is great for any 12V AGM type battery.

Owners manual: http://www.electrobattery.com/pdf/odyss ... s_2008.pdf

I put 3 step in quotes above because by present charger marketing descriptions it is a 5 step charger. In addition to providing a safe and fast 3 step charge (bulk, absorb, float) as described in the literature, this charger also does a little battery test at the beginning to be sure it is safe to charge and includes a conditioning function after it enters float to help improve performance. During "float" this charger will automatically attempt to desulfate a weak battery. It switches to pulsed "conditioning" mode after a charge if it detects the attached battery is weak by monitoring how it recovers from the charge during float mode and if needed it will attempt to improve battery performance and life with this pulsing action.

The numeric display will show you the voltage on the charge terminals or the state of charge in % of an attached AGM battery.

By the way, the input power and jumper leads are 6' long and store in the charger. I pulled out just a little of each to illustrate that it has them.
The older I get the better I was.
drummingpariah
AntiSpam: No

Re: AGM battery charger $50

Post by drummingpariah »

I'm interested, just picked up a 680 for the Datsun and put off a tender. Willing to just bring it to Ascutney and I'll bring cash for you?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Sure. If you are sure you want it I will remove it from Craigslist.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Yeah, I'm happy to paypal you now if you like.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

No need. Your word is good. Its saved.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Thanks, now to sort out the other 3,281.25 things left to do before it's ready to race.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

drummingpariah wrote:Thanks, now to sort out the other 3,281.25 things left to do before it's ready to race.
One thing at a time... That's how To-Do lists get done :D