Free VW stuff

For Sale (FS), Want to Buy (WTB), or Free cars or car parts
walterclark

Free VW stuff

Post by walterclark »

I have a couple sets of things that I want to offer to my friends and hillclimbers for free before going elsewhere with these.

First, I have 10 14" VW snowflake wheels. All have tires mounted (old tires - they have tread but I wouldnt recommend them for racing or regular daily drving), have been stored in my shop since I got them, some have dings and scuffs but all are straight. One set o 4 has the Yokohama tires I uses as hillclimb wets for years, another set of 4 I picked up for the wheels as spares and have Falkens that were slightly used for autocross, the remaining 2 were dropped off here some years ago by a friend.

Snowflakes look like this:

Second, I have a collection of 020 transmissions. None were ever raced by me. I have one 16V model that I got in trade for a specific 8V tranny some time ago. It has not been apart or installed and used by me so I dont know if it needs rebuilding but on the bench it seems to work. I have 3 8V transmissions, 1 complete but of unknown condition and 2 dismantled for parts (I cannibalized 2nd gear and and the input shafts for the 020 that I raced). Since its almost impossible to buy parts for these anymore, someone racing with one will need a cache of spares for parts. I also have a few special tools for the 020 that I will include.

The deal here is 1) take all of either (or both) group and 2) come pick them up.
The older I get the better I was.
drummingpariah
AntiSpam: No

Re: Free VW stuff

Post by drummingpariah »

Whoa, 10 wheels?! Two of my CRX's 14" BBS winter wheels are bent enough that they leak, so I'd love to take a set of 4 (you have to match) if they're 4x100. If nobody else wants any, I also need a set for summer wheels ... and ... my trailer is also 4x100, and the little 8" wheels aren't quite up to snuff for highway use.

So I guess I could use all 10, but I don't want to take them if someone else could make use of them. I assume you're just trying to make space in the shop?
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Just beware of the whole hub-centric vs lug-centric thing.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Yes, I need to start clearing out things in my shop that are no longer relevant to what is the present GTI. An awful lot of it is either priceless or junk depending on whether you need it or not because much of it is no longer available. For instance I have a box of ECU's for the CIS-E 8 and 16V engines, and another box of switches and controls for the A2 Golf/Jetta. You cant buy these things any longer, or find them in junk yards so if you need one they are priceless. On the other hand they ARE for cars that are around 30 years old and generally either restored/evolved already or long since crushed so the need is probably very low. Which reminds me...anyone needing a stock part for an A2 should contact me before buying. I have LOTS of other stuff including new spare parts I can no longer use. For instance I replaced the tie rods this winter but I use bearing rod ends so the new stock tie rod ends are just sitting in a box.

And yes the wheels are all VW OEM which means hub-centric (57.1mm bore) and the correct bolts/nuts are ball seat. They are 4x100 pattern, 6" wide and have an offset of 38mm. I know this pattern will fit on some Japanese cars since I sold a set of BBS RS 14" BMW OEM spec wheels that mounted up on a Mazda2 but the Mazda hub was smaller so the buyer needed to be sure to be careful to tighten the correct conical wheel bolts carefully to center the wheels. The CRX hub should be 56.1mm.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I posted this on the Pa hillclimb site for you Walter.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

walterclark wrote:Yes, I need to start clearing out things in my shop that are no longer relevant to what is the present GTI. An awful lot of it is either priceless or junk depending on whether you need it or not because much of it is no longer available. For instance I have a box of ECU's for the CIS-E 8 and 16V engines, and another box of switches and controls for the A2 Golf/Jetta. You cant buy these things any longer, or find them in junk yards so if you need one they are priceless. On the other hand they ARE for cars that are around 30 years old and generally either restored/evolved already or long since crushed so the need is probably very low. Which reminds me...anyone needing a stock part for an A2 should contact me before buying. I have LOTS of other stuff including new spare parts I can no longer use. For instance I replaced the tie rods this winter but I use bearing rod ends so the new stock tie rod ends are just sitting in a box.

And yes the wheels are all VW OEM which means hub-centric (57.1mm bore) and the correct bolts/nuts are ball seat. They are 4x100 pattern, 6" wide and have an offset of 38mm. I know this pattern will fit on some Japanese cars since I sold a set of BBS RS 14" BMW OEM spec wheels that mounted up on a Mazda2 but the Mazda hub was smaller so the buyer needed to be sure to be careful to tighten the correct conical wheel bolts carefully to center the wheels. The CRX hub should be 56.1mm.
I just gave away or tossed a lot of spare parts, engines, transmissions, and differentials for the same reason. None of it is valuable for what I'm trying to do right now, and I'm just trying to give it to people who CAN use them.

I made some hub-centering rings for the CRX's current wheels, which are BBS Mahala wheels off some flavor of VW. I believe these would be the same?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Those look like the BBS RA for the VW. Most of the VW that ran 4x100 did have the 57.1mm bore so I would guess those did too and if you can make them work, the snowflakes would as well.
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

they'll work fine on honda. it's really easy to make a ring to cent them, or if you use the right lug nuts and torque evenly they will be fine. I've run all sorts of different 4x100 wheels over the years, from all makes, and there are plenty of easy options for making them fit right. I even took a router to a set of miata wheels and then ran them on my rabbit for 2 years of racing, no problems...and they were centered by the lugs (oops)
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

...and sorry to hijack, but Jesse if you want to get rid of a 14" bbs wheel or two that aren't bent I might be interested if they are a match to the 3 i've been sitting on for years. Mine are bmw wheels though, so not sure if they are teh same width/offset as what you have
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

dsldubn wrote:...and sorry to hijack, but Jesse if you want to get rid of a 14" bbs wheel or two that aren't bent I might be interested if they are a match to the 3 i've been sitting on for years. Mine are bmw wheels though, so not sure if they are teh same width/offset as what you have
One holds air as expected, one leaks around 5% a month, and the other two leak closer to 5% a week. It's entirely likely that the valve stems are the source of the leak, but I haven't really had time to give them a test yet. If they're a match you're welcome to them, as long as I get to keep my snow tires :)