Exotic Mopar Parts #1 - Pro shifted Hemi Transmission

For Sale (FS), Want to Buy (WTB), or Free cars or car parts
Mopar 151

Exotic Mopar Parts #1 - Pro shifted Hemi Transmission

Post by Mopar 151 »

These are becoming desperate times, and I gotta liquidate some stuff to keep us going - the first piece:

The MACK DADDY OF 4-SPEEDS - Chrysler/New Process A-833, "18 spline" "Hemi" 4-speed. Only came stock with 440 Magnum/Dana rear or Hemi - 30% more torwue capacity than stsandard Mopar 4-speed (which ain't weak....) This is a basketcase, but I have everything to assemble it, including a low time hardware kit. Current configuration is long tailshaft, iron case and tailhousing. This was a drag racer's spare transmission, with a couple extra parts, i.e. spare 2nd gear. IMPORTANT DETAIL - The hubs, sliders, and speed gears in this setup were produced for drag racing by Chrysler - They have no provision for synchronizers or detents within the cluster, and the sliders and speed gears have had the engagement dogs modified (before heat treat and finish grind) for faster shifting. The synchro cone seat area has never been finish ground on most of the speed gears! The synchro hubs are solid, not slotted for detent keys. This transmission upshifts like nothing else I've ever driven - almost no effort, and faster than your hand can move! Downshifts are another story.... revs must be matched very closely, or the grinding is just painful - and it's not going into gear when it's grinding! I have attempted a hillclimb or 2, and NHMS open practice - It did'nt work for me. I would judge it marginally streetable for a skilled (i.e. truck) driver - and it is no less than a pro's secret weapon for drag racing! Excellent piece for a drag oriented Mopar or nostalgia car - McLeod sold a whole setup to bolt these up to Chevy's.

What's the deal? $800 cash, I'll show you how to put it together. Updates, changes, shifter setup all negotiable. OR trade even for stock A-833.Will barter for an inspectable, workable winter car or fuel oil.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Re: Exotic Mopar Parts #1 - Pro shifted Hemi Transmission

Post by Mopar 151 »

Bump! Don't need a winter car anymore, but barter or interesting trades always considered

Last bumped by Mopar 151 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:03 pm.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151