FS: Race car / Mod Heavy #15

For Sale (FS), Want to Buy (WTB), or Free cars or car parts
smokey15

Re: FS: Race car / Mod Heavy #15

Post by smokey15 »

About $300.00. I have several friends who race dirt track modifieds and late models. They basically give me their used/take-off tires. Tread life is short, about two to three hill climbs, but for the price, the tires can't be beat. Kevin's tires are brand new, with a very sticky compound. # 15 would be more competitive with the new Hoosiers.
Smokey
Challenger392
AntiSpam: No

Post by Challenger392 »

smokey15 wrote:About $300.00. I have several friends who race dirt track modifieds and late models. They basically give me their used/take-off tires. Tread life is short, about two to three hill climbs, but for the price, the tires can't be beat. Kevin's tires are brand new, with a very sticky compound. # 15 would be more competitive with the new Hoosiers.
Smokey
I see, that probably explains the flat tire at Ascutney 2. Any Idea how much a set of those new hoosiers costs?/how long they would last.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
smokey15

Post by smokey15 »

You could get an exact cost from Kevin. Prices may have changed since he purchased them. He could give you the exact tire numbers, then email or call Hoosier Tire Distributor for current pricing. He uses wider tires than I do. I have 27x13x15 on the rears and, if I purchased fronts, I'd probably get 27 or 26x12x15s.
Smokey
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I think you should just take a little out of Robbies allowance each week for the car. He seems to be liking it. :D
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

My tires were $145 each this spring. I run 27x13 rear and 26x13 front. That is just about the compounds and nothing to do with the sizes. The 13" part is misleading since they are designed to mount on 15" rims and they measure 15" wide. The fronts are M15 compound which is the softest that is easily obtainable. The rears are M28. Rubber wise they last more than a season. I've never worn a pair out. I just figure that they must be going away with all the heat cycles and replace them every season.
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

KevinGale wrote:My tires were $145 each this spring. I run 27x13 rear and 26x13 front. That is just about the compounds and nothing to do with the sizes. The 13" part is misleading since they are designed to mount on 15" rims and they measure 15" wide. The fronts are M15 compound which is the softest that is easily obtainable. The rears are M28. Rubber wise they last more than a season. I've never worn a pair out. I just figure that they must be going away with all the heat cycles and replace them every season.
Good info to know that's far cheaper than I would have thought I was expecting them to be more on par, pricing wise, with replacements on my new car 200+ per tire.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support

2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

When my dad was running the big slicks, he ran M15, 490, and 500 compound (not sure the exact conversion, but 490 was about the same as M15, 500 was a little harder) 15 inches wide on the back. We always got used tires for free or cheap (swap meets and takeoffs from circle tracks) and a set of used tires would make it through a season. He switched to the dirt tires like #15 has and ran one set for 2+ seasons.
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

There have also been times when getting hold of decent compounds, in conjunction with the right sidewall design, has required a good deal of social engineering, occasional dump picking, and the ability to make truckloads of tires vanish legally on short notice. Not to mention aspects of scoring "sumthin-sumthin" in Tiajuana :? :shock: :twisted: :roll:
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Mopar 151w2 wrote:There have also been times when getting hold of decent compounds, in conjunction with the right sidewall design, has required a good deal of social engineering, occasional dump picking, and the ability to make truckloads of tires vanish legally on short notice. Not to mention aspects of scoring "sumthin-sumthin" in Tiajuana :? :shock: :twisted: :roll:
I never knew getting tires was such an art form. :lol:
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support

2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Challenger392 wrote:
Mopar 151w2 wrote:There have also been times when getting hold of decent compounds, in conjunction with the right sidewall design, has required a good deal of social engineering, occasional dump picking, and the ability to make truckloads of tires vanish legally on short notice. Not to mention aspects of scoring "sumthin-sumthin" in Tiajuana :? :shock: :twisted: :roll:
I never knew getting tires was such an art form. :lol:
Oh hell yea. Circle track tires are a funny thing-a closed loop commodity in some cases. You want tire X? Well thats what they run at Stafford-and you HAVE to buy it from supplier Y--and he may not sell it to you because you arent running it there. Or tireZ-all used ones get 1" hole punched in them after use. It comes down to exclusive deals with vendors- and some series rules (no more than 2 tires a week rule-for cost savings.)
I had a tire I really liked. When I called up the vendor, he said they were out of stock-they were a "seasonal" tire. It was a right rear used on the TQ midgets when they run the indoor series. I'd have to get my order in by November. :?
And even though my tire could fit inside Kevins-they are only $15 less. :roll:
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.