Wanted-Cheap tow rig, conv van, suv, quad cap truck, 2wd ok

Street car, truck, motorcycle, ATV, RV, etc.
Mopar 151

Me'mere specials

Post by Mopar 151 »

Expedition has F-150 chassis, tow well, drink gas like it was Otter Creek - this one already set up to tow. ANYTHING you buy out of this area Methuen, MA) gets the papers/CARFAX checked,http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/2906062058.html
Mountaineer in Burlington, VThttp://nh.craigslist.org/cto/2905933086.html
Last edited by Mopar 151 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
sachilles

Re: Wanted-Cheap tow rig, conv van, suv, quad cap truck, 2wd

Post by sachilles »

That cheap conversion van looks about my speed, though the mileage is on the high side. However, I suppose at that price, I could put another engine and transmission in it. Plus it's a e250 chassis. Rust underneath is what I'd be curious to see, but the clean exterior is at least promising.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Mopar 151

Re: Wanted-Cheap tow rig, conv van, suv, quad cap truck, 2wd

Post by Mopar 151 »

FWIW - I've owned 2 Fords ('89 Grand Marquis - Guido and Carmine) of slightly older vintage. Both ran like new when junked for rust, at well over this mileage. I had issues with the AOD trans in Guido - Carmine had a (Cottman) rebuilt trans when I got him, went over 100 K for me without a hitch. If the trans shifts right (not sort of right, but 100% right), and the fluid smells OK, I would'nt worry at all.

Smokey's friend Paul Gilman was a Ford service manager in this van's day, and can tell you about any problem areas, or hook you up with a competent trans. guy - there are adjustments that have to be done right, with the special tools req'd (Don Siloway tipped me to this, back when I had Guido trouble)

One of my clues on buyin' cheap iron is knowing why it's gettin' sold. This mentions exhaust, which is a good one, most of the time. Manifold gaskets might not be, and I've seen mention of this in more than 1 ad for Fords of this vintage - and a figure of $800 to repair - Mostly labor , 'cuz
Gaskets are `$22/ea - Rock Auto sez cats are $270-450, mufflers ~ $100, tailpipe $37. Flowmaster & Magnaflow do not list a system for E-Fords. Price depends on GVW rating...
Hope this all helps
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151