My 2002 Dodge RAM 2500

Street car, truck, motorcycle, ATV, RV, etc.
Mopar 151w2
AntiSpam: No

Re: My 2002 Dodge RAM 2500

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

According to my uncle "Tiny", recently retired petroleum hauler, you should be quite particular about where you buy your diesel fuel. For several reasons - diesel will grow bacteria out of a horror movie, for one, so you should avoid low-volume sources. Second, "diesel" until lately, has often been a random mixture of #1, #2, and kerosene, or straight #2, with no anti-gel - and none too clean at that. And a lot of stations who sell name brand gas sell "unbranded" diesel, which the distributors buy on the "spot" market - so you don't know where it's been.
He uses Irving highway diesel exclusively in his new diesel tractor, as he hauled out of the Irving terminal in Portsmouth for years, and knows that it's clean, and is what the label on the pump says it is. (He has no love for Irving at all - he must grit his teeth every time he fuels up!)
walterclark

Re: My 2002 Dodge RAM 2500

Post by walterclark »

Mopar 151w2 wrote:According to my uncle "Tiny", recently retired petroleum hauler, you should be quite particular about where you buy your diesel fuel. For several reasons - diesel will grow bacteria out of a horror movie, for one, so you should avoid low-volume sources. Second, "diesel" until lately, has often been a random mixture of #1, #2, and kerosene, or straight #2, with no anti-gel - and none too clean at that. And a lot of stations who sell name brand gas sell "unbranded" diesel, which the distributors buy on the "spot" market - so you don't know where it's been.
He uses Irving highway diesel exclusively in his new diesel tractor, as he hauled out of the Irving terminal in Portsmouth for years, and knows that it's clean, and is what the label on the pump says it is. (He has no love for Irving at all - he must grit his teeth every time he fuels up!)

Good to know. Thanks. As it happens I fill up at Irving stations around 80% of the time already because they seem most abundant and reasonably priced. I have heard about avoiding low volume sources but I didnt realize that many name brand gas stations buy whatever for diesel...but I have experienced some variation in fuel economy and how the engine sounds under load that I attributed to varying Cetane and I began avoiding the places that seemed to have delivered the lesser.
The older I get the better I was.