1962 BMW 700 S

sdwarf36

Re: tips on tuning??? 1962 700 S

Post by sdwarf36 »

Challenger392 wrote:Completely different application but for what its worth, my engine runs either avgas or VP C12 interchangeably up to its 6500rpm redline. But again about the only thing our engines have in common is that their carburated and have pistons. :D it would be interesting to see the high rpm hp rating with both fuels, if only I had a dyno....
If its actual 10.5 or less, it would make more power with a 50/50 mix of 93 pump gas + C12. And I see it on the dyno all the time. ;)
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Mopar 151w2
AntiSpam: No

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

I concur - Kevin, Ray, and I have all had good experiences with 30% or so of 108 race gas, with known good 93 RFG/E10. 9/1 to 11/1, iron, Alum. heads. Good chambers and effective quench show up here. And this mix will run ok in the lawnmower - my Dad nearly burned down the cultivator using my mix of "gasohol" 93 and Moroso or 104+ octane boost.
Ethanol was added to gasoline for several reasons - under present consideration: it results in a leaner mixture, usually resulting in lower emissions, and it replaced MTBE as an octane booster and oxygenator. Methyl Tertiary Buytl Ether is Methylethylbadshit to groundwater, in low concentrations, resulting in the many mini-Superfund sites around old gas stations backalong.
Best to check plugs when changing fuel, 'cuz of this and some other reasons. For my fave little 700, i'd think about "pickling" it for the winter with 1/2 gallon of straight race gas.
SevenhundredS

Post by SevenhundredS »

Mopar 151w2 wrote:For my fave little 700, i'd think about "pickling" it for the winter with 1/2 gallon of straight race gas.
Pickling? PICKLING?!?!?!?!? Nay, she shall run again and at FULL POWER (all 50 little ponies of them.) Ice racing season is coming up!

Miss ya all at Ascutney this weekend. :-(
SevenhundredS

Post by SevenhundredS »

Lots of fun in the garage and around the block with this but the power problem persisted. Finally, a break through. I found a tiny plug in the float bowl!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-USqj ... 180629.jpg this was flooding out that cylinder.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o7LQ ... 180726.jpg

See you at Philo!
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

Nice catch.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

That must have been a good, Ah-HA!!! You S.O.B.... Moments. ;)
Sweet ride, BTW.
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
SevenhundredS

Post by SevenhundredS »

Some last minute carb sync/tuning (hope I don't break anything like those damn fragile emulsion towers!) and we load up for Philo!
SevenhundredS

Post by SevenhundredS »

The 700 saga continues. In the good-news department, I got the clutch refaced. The worn one was down to the rivets and below .2"
Refaced it is just above .4" unloaded. Image
Provided I get the adjustment right it should give me some life. Cost: $65 plus shipping back and forth = $95. good enough.

Next, anybody out there know much about guibos [aka: rubber universals/donuts] on the drive train? I have four, three of which are aftermarket or from a different vehicle and one is original. The original, although getting dry and cracked, is still holding out however they are all under a bit of extra in-line stress because the newer ones are all about 1/16" wider. That and two misplaced guibo savers are adding up to about 7/16" extra length squeezed between the bearings of the wheels and the differential. So the question is, can the bearings and guibos take it and I'm just being picky or should I take them off and have the three slightly over-sized ones shaved down a bit.
In the photos below the transmission is up on a jack adding a bit of angle to the axle and the round profile guibo is the older one.
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

If there isn't any binding, what the hell... If you think about the stresses on those bearing while driving, bumps turns this an that.
I wouldn't concern myself about it unless something is binding but if it turns freely then go with it.
The rubber of-course is engineered to flex a certain amount, an your talkin 3/16' of preload each guibo......... Ah....... Ain't nothing.
But I'd shave em down because I'm neurotic but I don't think it's necessary so forgetaboutit but if your loosing sleep then shave em. ;)
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
SevenhundredS

Post by SevenhundredS »

Hmmm??? tech talk or psych counseling :-)
I don't lose sleep about this so much as I dream about it and wake up wanting to tweak. I'm going to shave them down because I have the time and the engine is out...and then I can get on with dreaming about something else to do with the car...ice racing?