02 VW Passat trans leak

Street car, truck, motorcycle, ATV, RV, etc.
britracer89

02 VW Passat trans leak

Post by britracer89 »

Hey VW people,
What transmission fluid goes in the 2002 VW Passat auto with 1.8T?
The trans lines are leaking. Dealer replaced lines and still leaking. Dealer now says it's the radiator needs to be replaced. Anyone ever have problem with trans lines leaking where they attach to the radiator?
Any info/advise helpful.
Thanks, Brian
Chief Geek
AntiSpam: No

Re: 02 VW Passat trans leak

Post by Chief Geek »

Don't like to see anyone left hanging, but I can't help. Don't do VWs, don't understand automatics.

Good luck though.
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Im not exactly sure how a VW passat is put together but all the automatics ive worked on are put together as follows.

As you probably know most automatics run the ATF through a heat exchanger in the bottom of the radiatior to heat/cool it. If the fittings mounted to the radiator are cracked then your kinda up a creek and you'll need a new radiator. I would just make sure that is actually the problem, make sure to check that the fittings are plenty tight, good and clean, and that the lines are well aligned before the nuts are installed. I hope this hasnt been confusing and has been slightly helpful.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

Well, race car is out in the cold tightly covered waiting for a blanket of snow :cry:
VW in the garage.
anyone know if I need to top off with factory trans fluid (@ $20/QT) or if the import AT fluid (Autozone computer suggested Castrol brand) is ok to top off with?
I found conflicting info on Internet.
Thanks
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I can't help here as I do know know automatics.

Try the Transmission section withi. The Technical section if the vwvortex forums
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
jimmy325

Post by jimmy325 »

Don't like to see anyone left hanging, but I can't help. Don't do VWs, don't understand automatics.
saddlebags for bikes saddlebags for bikes
mcse certification cost mcse certification cost
certkiller certkiller
leather-jackets leather-jackets
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I would not use anything but VW or Pentosin (mostly where VW sources their own branded fluids) in the tranny. I got steered this way by a guru on all things VW - Dick Shine - some years back and the advice hasnt caused me any grief. He was also OK with Amsoil GL4 for manuals and diffs but that was it.
The older I get the better I was.
minirally

Post by minirally »

if you dont want to buy a new radiator $$$$, just buy an aftermarket transmission oïl cooler, better and less pricey, i,ll do that several time for my customers at my shop.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared, Understeer is when the driver is scared