1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

Woody
AntiSpam: No

1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

Post by Woody »

Hello! Hoping to be able to drive a couple events this year! I have only come to a couple events as a worker as well as a couple just to look at the cars when I couldn't work but I finally got some time to tinker and its getting close...

How do you like my cage?

ImageImage

In all seriousness, I've been playing with this project for a little while and am excited to be putting a cage in, I cant think of a better use for this car. I got about 100' 1.5" x .120" tubing and the bender ready but I am very new to the whole thing. Obviously straight and center would be a lot nicer. In the pictures everything had mostly fallen down, it was more to get lengths and have a layout, I have a couple people who I will kidnap to help me soon but I'm interested in anyone's opinions or advice. Right off, I'm curious about the door bars, I want the car to be safe, but I don't want to have to be a contortionist to get in either...

Originally the car had a leak in the sunroof and so the previous owner parked in a garage and never got to fixing it... Well the carpet was ruined from moisture, the seats and most of the paneling would fall apart when you touched it... It needed a complete gutting, so I did that then got rid of that sun roof :) I have more pictures but I gotta dig them out, the sunroof is all sealed up and the roof didn't get warped to hell, that was a relief. Also as standard with this car it had a gas line repair and when I was fixing a new leak busted yet another leak so I replaced all the fuel lines.

ImageImage

If your bored in the Randolph Area. Always looking for help, even motivational support.
Kent Everding

Re: 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

Post by Kent Everding »

Awesome car. I love myself some old Inline 5's. Looking forward to hearing/seeing this one.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge then I will chime in but I am pretty sure you need three door bars. One along the sill, as low as possible, and two more in the shape of an 'X' or Nascar-esque.
Happy Fabricating!
05 STi #109
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

You need 2 side impact protection elements. The factory "door bar" can count as 1 element so assuming the car has them still you current single slopes side bar meets our minimum requirement. A sill bar added to your existing side bar would be an excellent addition and cover places that require a sill bar (e.g. Mt Washington) if you were to do that in a few years. Optional with NEHA are roof reinforcement bars, but they are not optional with some other racing bodies and are much easier to add before the cage is located in its final place than later.

What type of tubing to you have (ASTM spec number tells a lot)? The material requirement for new cages as of '14 has changed from "magnetic" and while the final wording is presently in discussion by tech folks, but if you have ASTM a513 DOM you are good for sure.
The older I get the better I was.
Woody

Post by Woody »

The steel is ERWX tubing from Capital Steel. All I know its 10xx steel.
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

Kent Everding wrote:Awesome car. I love myself some old Inline 5's. Looking forward to hearing/seeing this one.
I Totally second that.
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Woody wrote:The steel is ERWX tubing from Capital Steel. All I know its 10xx steel.
If the change to the section calling out tubing material and forming, voted on at the winter rules meeting, stands as written ERW it will not be allowed. There is work afoot to revise this but it is not totally clear how that will end up. The rule was revised to permit only DOM (meaning ASTM a513 Type 5) but it has not received final approval by the clubs and there is a discussion going now to either leave that, reject it or revise it.

Also the XX part of your 10XX is critical. If its 1005 its an extremely poor choice as that isnt really structural strength. Something like 1020 would be OK. You really need to know what that is and what ASTM standard the tube is built to as that defines its quality.

My advice is to either hold off cutting and building anything for now (it might be a couple weeks before this is close to being settled), or go with the ASTM a513 Type 5 in a 1020 or 1026 as those are safe choices if you cannot wait that long.

If ERW ends up being an accepted forming method (ASTM a500) for round tubing, it should be noted that the weld seam is a potential weak spot when the tubing is bent. I have been given to understand that it is recommended the tubes be oriented with the seam on the inside of each bend to minimize the risk of excessive weakening. As with any tube the bend radii should be as large as possible. I would not be surprised to see big John chime in on this...
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I'd also add that if your driving aspirations include rally, you might as well go with 1.75 x .095 Dom, as that is required with the rally sanctioning bodies. Makes the shell and cage log book-able, and should you decide to sell it, makes it more marketable.
While we MIGHT accept a lot of materials and building practices, other groups are not as accepting. So sometimes it makes more sense to build to the most picky standard, so your car has the opportunity to enter the most events.
So capital steel, must be from central Vermont?
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Woody

Post by Woody »

Well, I didn't pick out the steel actually. I was sure this was valid steel, except your saying they are changing the rules over possibly this year? I already was rather shocked to hear that they were planing on requiring a Hans Device... How much do I win if I'm the fastest... DOM is 380% more expensive.... Frankly I do not have that kind money. I am all for safety but there is a point when it goes beyond reasonable. How often are people breaking 100 mph on these hills? And last I knew there wasn't a prize purse at the end of these runs...

I will probably not be threatening break-out times until I get comfortable. Like I said, not racing for money just for fun, thought that was the idea? I haven't put anything in the engine as of yet so I would be curious to see how it climbs the hill. So Regardless I hope to bring it to a hill so you can see/hear it (It does sound awesome).

Super1303, noticed your signature, I used to own a 1973 Super Beetle, that was my first car. Bright VW Yellow! Wish I kept it...

Yeah, Capital Steel is in Berlin, I don't really want to sell the car right away... :) Unless they REEALLY want it.
Kent Everding

Post by Kent Everding »

Woody wrote: How often are people breaking 100 mph on these hills?
15 out of 44 drivers saw over 100 at Okemo 1, 2013. Top speed that weekend was 120.
05 STi #109
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Kent Everding wrote:
Woody wrote: How often are people breaking 100 mph on these hills?
15 out of 44 drivers saw over 100 at Okemo 1, 2 Top speed that weekend was 120.
Not quite sure where it is but somewhere in the safety section of this forum is a great video about the forces on your body, even in a slow crash. A good watch if your considering buying a Hans.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K