nitrous use in hillclimb events???

ricker96
AntiSpam: No

nitrous use in hillclimb events???

Post by ricker96 »

hey all, i want to pick the brains of the people who make the regulations so this little question can be answered,
in the 2009 regulations the use of nitrous is just touched on lightly but is not clearly mentioned about it's legality
for hillclimb use, it just says the car must be fitted with a fire suppression system if using nitrous, so i guess my
question is, is the use of nitrous for hillclimb events legal?
thanks just want to get this out there!
Rabbit Farmer

Re: nitrous use in hillclimb events???

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I didn't think that NOS was allowed. I see where NOS is included in the rules as safety requirements and classification, but I'm unsure if it is specifically disallowed or not in the Technical section that address fuel that is legal for the event. If it is not allowed (e.g. included as a "fuel", and therefore is not accepted as a 'normally accepted fuel') why do we include it in the rules with specific safety and classification rules?

To quote the specifics....
Technical
C. Fuel
1. Any normally accepted fuel is legal.
Technical
B. Fire Extinguisher
3. Onboard fire system may be used, and is required in any car with a nitrous
system. Must be SCCA approved. A hand held bottle is also required.
Classification
Part 1
Displacement Factors
A. Supercharging, turbocharging, or nitrous oxide induction: Multiply actual
displacement by 2.
Classification
Part 2
Class Determination (Adjustments)
Nitrous oxide (mandatory fire system) (SP only) + 1 Class
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

It is permitted in the rules. In "Classification" http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hil ... 9class.pdf it calls for an X2 displacement multiplier in P class, and up 1 class in SP. It also shows up at the bottom of the worksheet for SP.

Maybe you were thinking of other fuel/additives that are banned. In Technical and Safety Regs http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hil ... 09tech.pdf Hydrazine and liquid oxygen are specifically banned.
The older I get the better I was.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I agree that the rules do not state that NOS is not allowed, but I recall a conversation with someone that NOS would not (should not?) be allowed on the hill. Could have just been someone's opinion.

From a performance standpoint... would NOS be any benefit corner to corner? I know that many hills are both hands on the wheel wherein I wouldn't want any surprise power (i.e. too much for the short distance between corners).

Steve
Number_5

Post by Number_5 »

It has been used and I believe it is legal. I would think it would be tricky to control, but in a small diplacement car, just a little snort at the end of turn 8 on Okemo would make quite a difference. In a big car you could find yourself on the ski slope if your lucky.
John M
A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings.
Albert
jkale

Post by jkale »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:I agree that the rules do not state that NOS is not allowed, but I recall a conversation with someone that NOS would not (should not?) be allowed on the hill. Could have just been someone's opinion.

From a performance standpoint... would NOS be any benefit corner to corner? I know that many hills are both hands on the wheel wherein I wouldn't want any surprise power (i.e. too much for the short distance between corners).

Steve
It would definitely make check 1 at Burke more of a jump...
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

jkale wrote:
Rabbit Farmer wrote:I agree that the rules do not state that NOS is not allowed, but I recall a conversation with someone that NOS would not (should not?) be allowed on the hill. Could have just been someone's opinion.

Steve
It would definitely make check 1 at Burke more of a jump...
From this- :o
To this- :o :o :o :o :o

A button on the wheel would work--and depending on how big of a shot you use, it just comes on like a turbo making boost-nothing instant. My only problem is I'd be on that button like a crack monkey any chance I get. Meaning I'd need to have mulitble bottles + a filling station at the hill. Also it now means each run would cost you everytime you hit that button.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Sherman >>>

agrabau

Post by agrabau »

Modern systems can be activated through throttle position or engine load meaning that it would be activated without any additional input from the driver. Probably very helpful for small displacement NA cars... or cars with huge turbos that need a shot in the face to spool.
ricker96

Post by ricker96 »

very sweet to hear that nos is legal, i'm using it in my 91 jetta build, it's a 1.8 bored to 1.9, a moded head and cam, and supporting mods with a 100 shot of nos that comes on when full throttle is applied will provide me with a nice kick in the pants, and put HP around 225 on the bottle.
thanks to all that answered this thread