Rules for 2015.... Electric cars and events to drop

General Regulations on how a NEHA hillclimb should function, how the series works, etc.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Rules for 2015.... Electric cars and events to drop

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Some ideas I have regarding submissions for changes to the rules starting on 2015

In speaking with Don, he said that Speedway is able to handle electric cars (should there be an accident), but I am unsure if we (as checkpoint workers) would know what to do/not do in these situations. Also, is there any venue owner concern with electric cars? (i.e. Does state have issues). What about wet vs dry cell cars? Lots of questions....

So, I am thinking if submitting a rule that specifically disallows electric cars as we are not prepared to handle them.

To be clear, I am not against electric cars, I just want to put this rule in place to avoid a problem (someone showing up with E car not knowing we can't handle them). Of course, once we have rules in place and know how to train our workers, that would override the need for this exclusion rule.

Reason I am bringing this up? Well, if you have good ideas about electric cars, you can take this opportunity to submit rule proposals for next year. I won't be pushing my rule idea if there are submissions for E car rules.

Next.... With Philo at the end of the season where all the classes were determined by Ascutney, it is hard to fill this event. I think Philo is the most expensive event to run due to the high cost of hill rental. My thought is to change the rule regarding dropping events to allow only one event to be dropped regardless of the number of events in the season.

Thoughts? Concerns? Other ideas of how to draw people to the last event of the year?

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sdwarf36

Re: Rules for 2015.... Electric cars and events to drop

Post by sdwarf36 »

Huh?? We better make rules to exclude someone because you don't understand the tech? And trying to blame it on not training the workers? Or now asking the venues if its ok? Was there any extra training when cars went from carbs to F.I.? Did someone ask Okemo when the first car showed up on radials? :roll:
Did the workers at Mt. Washington get extra training? (If they did, whats wrong with using those guidelines?) Don approves-Speedway approves-there were electric car rules in place for Washington-whats wrong with adopting them? (By talking to Don, I'm pretty sure they were Pikes Peak rules. http://www.ppihc.com/wp-content/uploads ... lebook.pdf )
And I dont think that making racers do one more race would help anything. You could always do AA-OO-BB and get your 6 if you just didnt want to run Philo-or it may eliminatensome of those running for points. ("Oh shoot-I got wedding to go to on Okemo II date-and won't be ready for Ascutney 1-so screw it-I wont run for points this year and only run a few.") We had 26 people run 5 or more events this year-in a year with an expensive Mt. Washington thrown in. A new record.( EDIT: I was wrong-we had 28 in 2003.) I'd hate to discourge that.
Last edited by sdwarf36 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I love philo, but don't think requiring 6 events is the answer.
I'd actually prefer to see class championship be reduced to 4 events, and maybe keep king of the hill at 5. Hopefully the benefit will be that increased number of eligible folks, creates more competition and there for they'll continue to run the full series, as they can drop more events.

As to electric, the gentleman that owned the two electrics at mt washington said he'd be happy to consult with us to establish safety standards.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Did the workers at Mt. Washington get extra training? (If they did, whats wrong with using those guidelines?)
Yes. A lot of thought went into allowing electric cars at CTTC. Approval by the hill. Review of PIHC rules. Special instructions for the workers. Discussion in advance with the driver of the car to go over the type of battery and the mechanism for disconnecting the batteries, etc.

I am putting E cars in the same category as alcohol cars where (my opinion) is that we are not currently equipped to handle them at the hills.

Like I said, I am not trying to exclude them, I am suggesting that we either allow them because we are equipped to handle them or we disallow them because we are not.

This will save someone driving 'x' miles to a NEHA event with an older wet cell Prius and we (the event organizers) turn them away.
As to electric, the gentleman that owned the two electrics at mt washington said he'd be happy to consult with us to establish safety standards.
This is the other option that I am pushing for.... being prepared and including the expectations in the rules.

-----------------

Looking for ideas on how to attract more people to Philo.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Rabbit Farmer wrote: Next.... With Philo at the end of the season where all the classes were determined by Ascutney, it is hard to fill this event. I think Philo is the most expensive event to run due to the high cost of hill rental. My thought is to change the rule regarding dropping events to allow only one event to be dropped regardless of the number of events in the season.

Thoughts? Concerns? Other ideas of how to draw people to the last event of the year?

Steve
Over the past 10 years Philo has averaged 36 entries per year. That sounds low but here are the other events.

Ascutney : 38
Burke: 36
Okemo 46

So Ascutney and Burke are not really doing any better.

More recently over the last 5 years the numbers are:

Ascutney 47
Burke 37
Okemo 54
Philo 39

So Ascutney and Okemo are doing better than Burke or Philo.

On average Burke is getting about 4 more entries for motorcycles and Okemo 9 more entries for motorcycles

So without the motorcycles the numbers look like this for the last 5 years:

Ascutney 47
Burke 33
Okemo 45
Philo 39

So Philo is a down compared to Okemo and Ascutney but it is ahead of Burke. Burke happens in the middle of the season so it's not a points thing. Why don't more people go to Burke and Philo. That is the question.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

My personal opinion on Philo is that the weather plays a large part. It takes a special mentality to camp. Foliage season makes hotels pricey. The narrowness of the hill is intimidating to some. Course is short by the rest of our standards.

Philo attracts more SCCV folks than other hillclimbs, and Ascutney attracts for SCCNH folks, but that is no surprise.
Sachilles
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

sachilles wrote:My personal opinion on Philo is that the weather plays a large part. It takes a special mentality to camp. Foliage season makes hotels pricey. The narrowness of the hill is intimidating to some. Course is short by the rest of our standards.

Philo attracts more SCCV folks than other hillclimbs, and Ascutney attracts for SCCNH folks, but that is no surprise.
I really liked how short Philo is, and how many runs we get (especially relative to the number of entrants). I assume we're talking about events that could be missed without affecting points, not about dropping Philo altogether?

If we are talking about dropping Philo altogether, what would we replace it with (if anything)? Would it be possible to get a hill in NH? Something like Rollins Park looks like it would be a lot of fun, and I imagine it would be a lot more inviting for people in MA and NH. I don't know if that's something that should be discussed here or at the rules banquet, or what, but I would love to have something that's less than 2 hours away from me.

(map link below)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rolli ... 90!6m1!1e1

"Located in the town of Warner, Rollins State Park is situated on the south slope of Mt. Kearsarge. A 3 1/2 mile long scenic auto road rises from the park entrance through woodlands to the parking and picnic areas just below the summit." - sounds perfect, doesn't it?
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

We are NOT talking about dropping Philo. Just trying to make it more sustainable in an economic sense.
Sachilles
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

sachilles wrote:We are NOT talking about dropping Philo. Just trying to make it more sustainable in an economic sense.
Thanks, I was getting a little worried. I like Philo a lot!
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

The question I see with Philo this year, was that the previous events this season were well subscribed. First time in a long time I can remember events hitting the cap, or even being close enough to the cap to be a worry.
Sachilles