New guy, long wheelbase :((

Discussion related to classification of cars in the NEHA series.
2tonsoffun
AntiSpam: No

New guy, long wheelbase :((

Post by 2tonsoffun »

I really want to get into hill climbs with my 2007 acura rdx. It has plently of mods and i think would do great up the mountain. My wheelbase is the question i have... i know its a longer than the rules but do i have to wait for a event and to show up to see if i can race or not depending on the tow driver? My current wheelbase is 180" 35" longer than the rules stated.. before i start dropping money on suspension and wheels i want to make sure it will not be a hit or miss at every event i show up to. Thanks alot guys!
07 acura rdx SH-awd
DW 800cc injectors, cp-e intake
vit viper tune // hondata flashpro
rv-6 3.5" downpipe
RacingFrog

Re: New guy, long wheelbase :((

Post by RacingFrog »

Regardless of the rules, the rollover risk with an SUV is really high and you don't want to go off in the woods with a 4000lbs vehicle!
I will let the tech & rule gurus chime in, but that would seem very risky to run such a vehicle at a hillclimb. This is probably why there is a limit on the wheelbase.
Do they allow the RDX at other competitive events like autocross or HPDE?
--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

The '07 RDX has a 104" wheelbase, 180" long overall.
The older I get the better I was.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

The reason for the rule is there was someone who ran a limo-and Don the wrecker operator realized that if it went off, he wouldn't be able to tow it. ( The windshields pop out when you lift them. :? ) So we figured we better put something in the rules.
So while it may not be the ideal tool, you'd be able to run it. ( But I would suggest an autocross with it first--and pretend the cones are trees. ;) )

Froggie-SUV-don't work? Ever see Butch in the Blazer? :shock:
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
RacingFrog

Post by RacingFrog »

sdwarf36 wrote: Froggie-SUV-don't work? Ever see Butch in the Blazer? :shock:
Yep, this is the first video I saw when I was looking for an onboard of Okemo before my first hillclimb... Looks like it might have been the last race for the Blazer?

--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

RacingFrog wrote:
sdwarf36 wrote: Froggie-SUV-don't work? Ever see Butch in the Blazer? :shock:
Yep, this is the first video I saw when I was looking for an onboard of Okemo before my first hillclimb... Looks like it might have been the last race for the Blazer?
Nope, he put a new front clip back on it and ran it another couple years after that
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

What might be more impressive than Butch's forward driving skills, you should see him backing up at full speed down the mountain.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Back to the original 2tonsoffun question. Your vehicle fits within our requirements so would be permitted assuming it passes a safety inspection at our tech.

Based on what little I know about these things, improvements in SUV anti-rollover performance have not come from lowering center of gravity so much as electronically managing things like yaw rate with selective wheel braking. They have thus been able to decrease maximum lateral acceleration from actions like sudden steering, brake or throttle inputs, which was a significant cause of rollovers in high center of gravity vehicles.

I would normally not recommend a SUV , truck or van for hillclimbing do to the relatively high center of gravity. The RDX since 2007 and a few other SUV, at least in stock form, have demonstrated pretty good behavior in government rollover tests making them no more likely to go dirty side up in many situations than many stock sedans from 15+ years ago or a good number of older sports cars, which we permit without any special warnings. This lukewarm endorsement does not apply to a vehicle where anything affecting the anti-rollover features has been tampered with or disabled as these features are a large reason for the improved test performance and it is difficult to predict if they would improve or degrade the engineered in anti-rollover performance. Either way, nothing in our rules would ban them.

As Sherm suggests, it would not be a bad idea to try the vehicle, as you plan to hillclimb it, at an autocross to see how it behaves under hard cornering. The anti-rollover features may well limit how fast you can take turns or how quickly you can initiate one - with the corrections essentially directing the vehicle to go straighter than you wanted. It would be better to find this by hitting cones than trees.
The older I get the better I was.
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

I would defiantly listen too the experienced on this one.
Would I not use it, no. I'd just pick a hill and take it easy, have fun, discipline is key here.
Working the hill a couple of times is also a good idea, too understand the system, and bring 'that' car to get some feed back.
I don't know you so no offence if I'm saying stuff you already know.
If you feel it would do good and it's what you like then use it.
The first thing I learned and still learn is the slower looking cars, an feeling, are usually the fastest, aggressive driving(unless your Butch) :P typically slows you down.
See you around.
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I'd also suggest autocross, but make sure you contact the club you'd run with first. I know the rdx is on the SCCA's exclusion list for autocross due to rollover risk, so you'd have to find an independent autocross club that will allow it. They have a lot of cars on that list, so don't get too discouraged.
I think it would do OK on our hills. I assume there isn't a roll cage, so you'd be subject to the break out rule. I'm sure it would handle our bumpier hills just fine. We have had SUV's and pick up trucks run with us before.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66