Loaning your car for Ascutney?

Kiwi
AntiSpam: No

Loaning your car for Ascutney?

Post by Kiwi »

Hi all,

I need some help making a decision. My white BMW M3 with the cage will not be ready for Ascutney II. So I'm asking for opinions on whether it is a stupid idea to ask if someone could lend me a car with a cage to drive at Ascutney. We all know how I got into this situation so it is kind of strange for me to ask to drive someone else's car, potentially putting them in the same situation I am in now! Of course I am asking this because I want to drive faster than the breakout time for the hill. I"m happy to borrow, share, or rent a car from somebody.

My other option is to drive my blue M3, which has more horsepower and no cage. I love driving it, so this is a good option, but I will be fighting to stay over the breakout time.

So help me make this decision. Tell me I'm an idiot! Or that it is a good idea which would probably work in some other universe. Or maybe you want to share your car with me? Who knows. Feel free to approach me personally at the hill if you want to talk about loaning/renting your car.

James
Last edited by Kiwi on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Jamie Melhuish
Rabbit Farmer

Re: Loaning your car for Ascutney?

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Bring it up here, buy Joey a lot of Red Bull and have a cage by Ascutney. :mrgreen:

I'm not a big fan of borrowing a car for speed. I had to borrow my brother's car at Ascutney once so I did FAM runs in it the rest of the weekend. I didn't want to inherit the responsibility of fixing another car (either by hitting something or pushing it so something failed). Cheaper to drive your car and just wait for Ascutney 2010 for your 'at speed' event.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Kiwi

Post by Kiwi »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Bring it up here, buy Joey a lot of Red Bull and have a cage by Ascutney. :mrgreen:

I'm not a big fan of borrowing a car for speed. I had to borrow my brother's car at Ascutney once so I did FAM runs in it the rest of the weekend. I didn't want to inherit the responsibility of fixing another car (either by hitting something or pushing it so something failed). Cheaper to drive your car and just wait for Ascutney 2010 for your 'at speed' event.
You are probably right, I think I must be crazy to have opened this topic! Or people are going to think I'm an idiot. Maybe I should just delete the post and get on with the blue M3.

James
--
Jamie Melhuish
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

If mine was working I would be perfectly happy to let someone else drive it too as long as they understand, you break you fix. We rented out our road race cars for over 1000 bucks a weekend with a 15K crash purchase agreement many times. Usually it is cheaper then that to fix so everyone is happy. As long as you have the ability to fix the car if you break it then I don't see an issue.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Kiwi wrote:My white BMW M3 with the cage will not be ready for Ascutney II.
I thought I heard Jimmy say he could have it fixed in 3 days... ...Then I learned from someone that he owns a body shop or some such. I would have never guessed that is what he does.

I think each person needs to decide for themselves whether to rent/borrow/loan a car for competition. The risks are obvious and as you learned, sometimes an unfortunate thing happens.

You could just rent a Mini: http://minirentalboston.com/ Should be a hoot to drive and getting below the breakout in an S would be a challenge more than a concern. Remember if asked, you are just going to take a nice weekend drive in Vermont ;)

Well that is embarrassing...I checked at the site above and they dont actually list Mini's to rent....The have a Hummer though :o Maybe a phone call would produce different results. The "reservation" portal switches you to "Adventure Vehicle Rental" and they list the Mini but not when you actually try to reserve one.
The older I get the better I was.
Kiwi

Post by Kiwi »

Jimi probably could have had it fixed (not in three days), but ordering BMW parts turned out to be a slow process. I will bring it to Philo if we run that hill this year.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It just seems sensible to drive the other car I have and have fun in it. Rental car? Yeah, people used to do that sometimes in New Zealand, take the rental to the racetrack. Never me though!

Looks like it's going to be a fun weekend, hope we have lots of cars and lots of runs!

James
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Places rent out cars (i.e. SCDA1.com... unsure if they would allow for them to be hillclimbed as oppsed to tracked, but you never know). There are options out there.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

We do have a clause on entry forms saying you must either own the car or have the owner's permission. It was put in place to prevent most rental cars.
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

There was a guy at Philo with a rented Nova......
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Number_5

Post by Number_5 »

That's a story for sitting around the fireplace at Philo!!
John M
A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings.
Albert