Okemo with data overlay-Nick

sachilles

Okemo with data overlay-Nick

Post by sachilles »

It doesn't look like Nick posted it up yet.
I'd would love to see more folks run this system. There retail systems are spendy, but you can piece together your own components to do it on the cheap, so If you are interested I get help you source the stuff.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sciroccohp

Re: Okemo with data overlay-Nick

Post by sciroccohp »

what do I need, I want to have that type of system but its 1300 the cheapest I have seen.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Way cheaper than 1300.

Couple of different options.

Cheapest route is to do a 5hz gps setup. I just looked at the compatible gps list and you can get one for $89 + shipping. This gps has a data logger on it, so you wouldn't need anything else in your car.
You would need a $49 license for the gps to talk to the maxqdata software. If you wanted to do video manually syncing it, it's another $99 on top of that(plus you need your own digital video cam). So minimum cheapest setup is around $240 plus shipping cost of the gps(plus camera). You also need a computer at home.

If you want to do real time video with up to 4 cameras. Then you need a total $179 in software licenses, A netbook PC which can be had for ~$200 used. You also need up to 4 web cams figuring each is about $50 for one that will work well with this setup. Gps is the same $89. You'd also need a DC cable or inverter for the netbook as it would be riding along in the car...running on battery won't last terribly long processing video, so you don't want to rely on battery power. So you'd be looking at $700ish for the whole shebang delux version.
Go to http://www.maxqdata.com/DIY.htm

What I'm bummed about right now, is the gps nick has is a 10hz gps. It takes a data point every tenth of a second. They have apparently discontinued that model, and I can't find one anywhere. So that leaves only the 5hz ones.
The ideal is around 8hz. 5 is good for hillclimb and track, but you really need 8hz or better for autocross. I do have emails in to different places that might have a 10hz gps available.

I don't sell this stuff or have any affiliation with the company....I've just played with the do it yourself route on the product since early in it's life.
Sachilles
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I forgot, they also have an iphone app too, but I don't know much about it.
Sachilles