tools in the car

sciroccohp

tools in the car

Post by sciroccohp »

so I have a different car this year that is a couple hundred lbs lighter, I am using wider tires that are different from anything I have ever used in the past with much softer springs then I have ever run. I had a pretty good handle on tire pressures and camber settings before but I am going to have to start again. Long story short, I would like to bring my air pressure gauge, a notepad and probably a pyrometer up and down the hill with me. What would be an acceptable way given I don't have a trunk or a glovebox. could I mount a small plastic toolbox to the floor? ziptie them to the rollcage with extra zipties? Any help would be appreciated. David
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: tools in the car

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I used to have a toolbox bolted to the floor that was full of all sorts of stuff like you mentioned.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

A army surplus ammo box (small one about the size of a lunch box) thru bolted to the floor works pretty well. Also has enough room for a sandwich and drink when you get to the top.
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

I like the ideas just want to make sure no one is not going tell me to take it out.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I'll yell at you regardless with enough drinks in me. :mrgreen:

Unsure Tech's opinion on the matter, just my experience. It was in my car for 10 years or so without issue. It is now in Kevin Dennis' car. (is he showing up this year?!?!?!?)
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

I actually just emailed him and he said okemo maybe and was unsure if he was going to make it to ascutney. I hope so more vws is better.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

For what you want to carry, a small plastic box held down by a nylon/polyester strap should be fine. I have a rule of thumb. You should not use a bungee or rubber strap for anything that you wouldnt want hitting you in the head.

I would not use a typical friction buckle cloth strap for anything over a few ounces. Some are pretty good, like the type buckle used on DaKine brand, many are not. Ratcheting straps are not much more expensive (in fact cheaper than DaKine) easily found almost everywhere and are much more secure. I have used Dakine straps to secure windsurfers (most weigh less than 20 pounds but some of the behemoths in the old days were more like 40) to roof racks for maybe 25 years and have only lost one - and the rack itself came off that time - in a crash. But locating a Dakine strap requires you find a watersports (like surfing, kiting, kayacking, windsurfing) store. Tool boxes and ammo boxes should really be bolted in place with a strap over the lid in addition to the lid closure. Ammo box closures tend to be pretty good but most tool box closures arent meant to hold things inside in the event of a crash and the plastic ones will pop open, sometimes with no force applied so they should definitely be strapped.
The older I get the better I was.
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

Thanks, I will find something to strap it down with.