Gloves

sachilles

Gloves

Post by sachilles »

I need to get a new set of gloves as I don't like my current ones.
Wondering if there is anything on the neha horizon in terms of ratings, that I should consider. Rules just currently state "fire retardent". I don't want to buy sfi 1 gloves only to find out I need sfi 5 next year.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Re: Gloves

Post by walterclark »

Of course one never knows if one of the members is planning on writing something but I havent heard anything.

About the only problem I have seen regarding gloves this year is, when it was a surprise to some near the beginning of the season that they were required in some cases, I saw things likes mechanics gloves and cotton garden gloves come out.

This is how Don (and therefore I) interpret the "fire retardant" rule...

Any SFI 3.3 or FIA 8856 rating level is good. Any "Nomex" or "Carbon-X" type label is OK (a number of race glove makers offer non-SFI/FIA labeled products at lower prices that are the same as the ones with the labels and they are OK if labled with a nomex/carbon-x tag). All leather, not so good as most will shrink like mad when exposed to heat (including TIG/MIG gloves) so despite being flame retardant, not a real good choice. Open back, cotton, polyester (except flame retardant varieties like nomex/carbon-x) and other synthetic materials no good.
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Thanks,
My confusion was that I saw sfi 1 and sfi 5 from g-force and others with fia ratings, but no mention of sfi.

I'm guessing if I get the latest fia, that'll probably cover everything?
Sachilles
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

As with suits you may see gloves with SFI and FIA, or ones with one but not the other. It just depends on what the manufacturer is targeting. Overseas makers that mostly sell overseas usually have FIA and if they also sell in the US may have both since some US racing does not recognize SFI. Some will only have one or the other and that may be based on glove design. For instance SFI prohibits external seams but FIA does not. FIA is very specific regarding use of leather and the SFI is less so.

The FIA 8856-2000 standard is the latest. FWIW products made to the earlier FIA 1986 standard was accepted pretty much everywhere for about 4 years after the 8856-2000 was released and manufacturers moved to it. In the US, many race bodies that accept FIA standards still accept 1986 labeled product if seen to be in good condition.

Neither FIA nor SFI specify a use life or expiration date for products in these categories.
Last edited by walterclark on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Thanks Walter,
I knew you'd have the answers.
Sachilles