Need some opinions...

sachilles

Re: Need some opinions...

Post by sachilles »

Dave,
Nobody is trying to disrespect you or what you have done.
Based on your experience, as a member of wire crew. What is an acceptable time to close the hill for Ascutney? This is where the disconnect is.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
kindabratty328

Post by kindabratty328 »

I ask that folks consider setting some sort of standard, whether it is set by event, hill or series wide. It's important to know prior to registering as a driver
Since we are discussing something that is an issue at Ascutney, and not at other hills, I don't think it is necessary to now start worrying about creating mandates for each hill. It seems kind of arrogant for anyone to think that they should be able to tell SCCNH how they have to run their hill. All we can do is ask that they consider running later in the day on Sunday, offer to do what we can to help, and leave it in their capable hands to make that happen.

The Burdens and Drew should be congratulated on giving every driver the opportunity to take eleven runs at Ascutney 2 (even with an early shut down of the hill), when last year there were only three on each day. They put in a lot of effort to make Ascutney a better experience for the drivers this time, but that fact seems to be getting lost in this controversy.

Just my two cents.
Breathe in... breathe out... move on.
STI NICK
AntiSpam: No

Post by STI NICK »

DaveEstey wrote:Ascutney I shut down early because one of the rally class cars stuffed itself on the outside of the hairpin before check 5, not because anybody decided 2:30 was the time to stop.

Okemo 1 didn't have fam runs Saturday caused by conditions, there weren't enough volunteers.

I understand frustration, Chris. What I don't understand is disrespecting volunteers and racers that have been a part of the history of hillclimbing in this area for longer than I've been alive. The sign was posted at lunch that there would be 2 more runs, if drivers had, based on the smoothness of the earlier part of the day, talked with Dave Burden I'm fairly certain that there could have been more runs Sunday. There could have been a discussion rather than an altercation.

I'm sorry but saying "I didn't see the sign" doesn't cut it in any racing situation. If you go to NHMS with COMM and don't pay attention to postings, tough cookies, and you pay a hell of a lot more to race with them too. It's the responsibility of the competitor to stay on top of what's going on. Most of the day Sunday I went out of my way while running grid to give Joey a heads up on how many cars were left in the run while he was getting skeletor running. I didn't do it because I had to, I did it because I wanted to and I appreciate Joey as a fellow racer. I wanted him to get as many runs in as possible.

I ALWAYS want people to get as many runs as possible because when I'm able to, I'm racing too. But after having been there since noon on Friday I was exhausted, and being half the age of the wire crew guys, I can imagine they were feeling it too, so I won't for a second hold it against them for wanting to pack up and get home in time to get a hot shower, a warm meal and a good night sleep before going to work Monday. I set the course up Friday, worked check 7 and took photos for the trophys Saturday, worked grid Sunday and finished the photo work and putting the trophys together, and then packed the trailer.

If somebody wants to join me on a consistent basis running wire crew, I will surely pass that fact on and we can bull and jam the course up Friday and down Sunday.

When I piece back the CRX's engine from it's failure at Ascutney, I'll be coming to as many of the events as possible.
Dave thanks for your effort at Ascutney. I am sure there are plenty of people that appreciate it besides me.

Dave as far as the sign goes. was it mentioned in the drivers meeting that people should be paying attention to the sign? Seems like a great idea as long as people know about it. For as long as I have been hillclimbing I have never been told to pay attention to a sign for the number of runs. Also why was it posted on Dave's trailer and not on the lean too where the results and everything else get posted?

I know what it takes to set up a hill. The days before, during, and after. I Co Chair Philo. Philo this year I got there at noon on Friday and didn't leave there til almost 11am on Monday making sure the hill is picked up and looking like we weren't there. Minus the trees. :? I have also helped setup and tear down every hill. I know how the wire crew and everyone else feels. I worked for a few years before I started driving. its a lot of work. This year I got my first taste of doing control. What a pain that job is. I give a lot of credit to those that do control. But, it doesn't seem like the organizers are not utilizing the help that is offered for an excuse to shut down the hill early. I know there are a lot of drivers that have offered, and if asked at the drivers meeting will raise their hand to help. Let drew and the rest of the wire crew that set the hill up and have been busting their butt to keep things going sit back and let the drivers take down the hill. Get a couple people that know what the hell is going on to send them in the right direction. I think dividing the work load a little more will make everyone happier, and allow the hill to stay open longer. Pending the uncontrollable.

My opinion as a driver I dont care about the number of minutes I get to drive. I care about the number of runs up the hill I get. The more runs i get the more practice/ fun I get to have. This is how I feel about all the car events I go to. just like the track events I go to I am there for the number of sessions. Just like an autoX. I go there for the number of runs, not the number of minutes of seat time. Again this is just my opinion.

I would love to go to an SCCNH meeting and voice this in a constructive way, but with my current schedule it wont be able to happen. So hopefully someone will take this all as food for thought.
Last edited by STI NICK on Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
DaveEstey

Post by DaveEstey »

sachilles wrote:Dave,
Nobody is trying to disrespect you or what you have done.
Based on your experience, as a member of wire crew. What is an acceptable time to close the hill for Ascutney? This is where the disconnect is.
Based on the attrition rate we saw at Ascutney 2 I would have run until 4, which would have meant 1 more run on Sunday as we were averaging just over an hour per run. Allowing for 2 hours of cleanup and the awards ceremony, which the wire crew deserves to be a part of, leaving around 6, which is honestly plenty late. The it's 2 hours towing the trailer home and unhooking so that person is off the hook around 8pm.

Saturday's runs would have to be governed by what the circumstances are, I don't have any experience with running an event other than the roles I play throughout the weekend to make things go smoothly. One of the veteran drivers could chime in here with their opinion, I'd be interested in seeing what Mopar thinks in particular.
1987 Mazda RX-7 GXL (Hillclimb)
1987 Mazda RX-7 Sport (Lemons)
2008 Mazda MX-5
2015 Ford F-350
2007 Toyota Prius (the fast car)
http://www.DaveEstey.com
BugEyeRex

Post by BugEyeRex »

Since we are discussing something that is an issue at Ascutney, and not at other hills, I don't think it is necessary to now start worrying about creating mandates for each hill. It seems kind of arrogant for anyone to think that they should be able to tell SCCNH how they have to run their hill. All we can do is ask that they consider running later in the day on Sunday, offer to do what we can to help, and leave it in their capable hands to make that happen.
I totally agree with this, That's why I decided to work Ascutney 2 this year and last year instead of drive. The insulting thing was to be told by people after they heard my answer about not driving, that if I cannot afford it I should not race. :lol: I also got a lecture on I do not know what it is like to be a worker. Sigh. All we can ask is "What assistance does SCCNH need to maximize use of the hill?"
The Burdens and Drew should be congratulated on giving every driver the opportunity to take eleven runs at Ascutney 2 (even with an early shut down of the hill), when last year there were only three on each day. They put in a lot of effort to make Ascutney a better experience for the drivers this time, but that fact seems to be getting lost in this controversy.

Just my two cents.
I agree a better effort was put on to maximize the hill this time.
Chris Rielly

93 Blue Impreza 4dr (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)
drvalliere

Post by drvalliere »

you guys are 100 percent right!! consider this wire crew worker retired. we had way too much fun at it anyway.
Last edited by drvalliere on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drvalliere

Post by drvalliere »

and i will be in line waiting for my fam.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

drvalliere wrote:and i will be in line waiting for my fam.
Hi Dave.... glad you made it to the forums. We'll have some drinks at the NEHA banquet and talk.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Kiwi

Post by Kiwi »

This is my first public posting on this incident. I just want to clear up a couple of factual errors.
haley735 wrote:opinions wanted- here ya go.....

if one had an issue with quitting early-they should have seeked out the chair, not control.
I was seeking out the chair Dave Burden, who had been at the bottom of the hill for most of the day. When I did not find Dave, I went up to the control tent looking specifically for him. After the incident at control, I continued looking for him, finally finding him just as he was driving a truck back up the hill to get a competitor's car. I never got the opportunity to talk with him.
DaveEstey wrote:Ascutney I shut down early because one of the rally class cars stuffed itself on the outside of the hairpin before check 5, not because anybody decided 2:30 was the time to stop.
The rally class car that crashed at the hairpin before check 5 was Niall Johnson. That occurred around 4:15 PM on Saturday (practice day). I crashed around 4:00 PM on Saturday, Niall was two cars later than me, causing the hill to be closed around 4:30 PM. Niall did not run on Sunday.

If you or anyone knows the reason why Ascutney I finished around 2:30 PM on Sunday, please post it here.

Thanks.
Jamie Melhuish
--
Jamie Melhuish