Vintage Jag for Ascutney?

oldcat61
AntiSpam: No

Vintage Jag for Ascutney?

Post by oldcat61 »

I ran Ascutney years ago with an MGA ( with fairly unpleasant results one year). I'd like to come back with my 61 Jaguar MK2, which is prepared to PHA/SCCA vintage rules. Basically a street car with a roll bar, fuel cell & fire system. Anyone see any problem? I sure don't want to drive all the way to Vermont from Jersey & find a rule I missed. No intentions of being competitive - just want to have fun. Anyone I should talk to from a tech point of view. Sue Salsburg
britracer89

Re: Vintage Jag for Ascutney?

Post by britracer89 »

Does it have lights? steel roof? could it be driven on the street? If it could possibly be street driven (windows lights etc) then it may fit SP class (street prepared) with the roll bar. If convertable roll bar must be above helmet. However you would be governed by the breakout time rule. For SP class you would also need DOT tires.

P class (prepared) requires full cage with front roof height hoop (the low dash height style front hoop is NOT acceptable). This is also required if you go faster than the breakout rule. I doubt it would pass as U class (unprepared) c

I personally would love to see the car at the hills. Please ask if any other questions.

Brian
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

A couple of things may differ from vintage regs-you need a 2.5 lb ABC fire extigusher with a metal bracket-even if you have a fire system onboard. SA2000 or better helmet -3 years or newer on belts. You also must have a horn-a little portable boat horn is ok.
And wire wheels arent allowed.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

I'll clarify. Very stock,very slow - full NJ inspection. 4 door sedan. Try to picture the Queen waving to the crowd. Thanks for the info on a fire bottle - doesn't make any sense to me but easily added. Maybe I'd better improve the pitiful Lucas horn. Can I post a photo?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Well Don Taylor is the final judge on what is OK and what is not, but I have been helping him for some time and since I frequent this group and he doesnt, I will respond...

Convertibles/roadsters running U or SP must have at least a rollbar, or a hardtop. Sounds like you have that covered with a sedan but look at the technical regulations at http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hil ... 09tech.pdf. Without a full cage you will be limited to running above the breakout times, but that shouldnt be a problem as they still permit pretty fast driving.

The events require a safe car with a fire extinguisher. The extinguisher must be an ABC type so you can have some chance of putting out any grass or leaves before we have a major forest incident before help arrives if your car should start something. So your onboard suppression system needs to be augmented with at lease a 2.5 pound ABC handheld that is securely mounted.

Check things like, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods and steering to be sure they dont have play. Make sure you have a firm brake pedal and nothing looks like it is loose or going to come off. I assume your suspension uses ball joints but if you have Heim joints, rod ends or spherical bearings, you need a safety washer on any open end. This used to be an SCCA rule as well but I dont know if it still is. Under the hood we will look for, no fluid leaks or hoses that appear damaged, positive throttle return springs and catch cans on any vents that might have fluid output and any overflows.

Be sure your helmet is Snell SA2000/2005, British Standard BS 6658-85 type A/FR, SFI Spec 31.1 Rev A or 31.2 Rev A, or FIA 8860-2004. The BS, SFI and FIA are not common in US road racing but they do come up once in a while.

Tires need to be suitable to your class. Check this for tire limits and other things regarding possible class: http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hil ... 9class.pdf

You should try to determine your class before you arrive. Tech doesnt assign classes, thought we will let you know if we see something that disqualifies you for your chosen class the and you may hear a number of opinions regarding class if you wait until you arrive and try to figure it out then. For example a lot of dedicated racers use polycarbonate windshields. We require a DOT laminated windshield for U and SP so polycarbonate would put you in P...in P you must wear a fire retardant race suit or underwear and gloves - where in U and SP that is optional (long sleeve and long pant fire retardant - e.g. cotton - is the minimum in U and SP).
The older I get the better I was.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Thanks for the help. No problem with belts, helmet & nomex - all required by PHA. Stock tires, glass etc. Not sure about class; don't really care where you put me. I already rolled at Ascutney once, so I'm going to go very slow, don't care if I'm even timed. As far as class: the motor is the stock 3.8L & she weighs a tad less than 4,000 lbs. We won't discuss what I weigh, but it's way too much. Sue
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Probably U4 or SP4 based on the vehicle weight you reported and the 3.8L twin cam 12V.

I rolled my GTI at Ascutney a couple falls ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl2B6Xs8uHU I am still working on my regaining my confidence.
The older I get the better I was.
CANDALMAN

Post by CANDALMAN »

Do you need long sleeve and long pants that is flame retardant in the Street prepared class??
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Sp does not require flame retardant clothing.
Per the rules, avoid nylon. I would go a little further, and avoid most artifical fibers - basically, anything that melts is bad.
I would reccomend that everyone use driving gloves, for a number of reasons - safety, comfort, grip, and consistency of learning.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151