KILLINGTON ASCUTNEY?

kindabratty328

Re: KILLINGTON ASCUTNEY?

Post by kindabratty328 »

Let me begin this reply by re-stating what Kevin said in his post. There IS NO KILLINGTON SPONSORED ASCUTNEY EVENT. This information has never been presented to the club to discuss or vote on. I have, from the very beginning of this issue, stated, and believed that Earl and Victor only had the best interests of the club at heart. Posting this on the forum, while still not having any discussion with KSCC or doing what needs to be done to even start that process is something that I find self-serving. There exists the possibility that this event will not happen, so why are you asking the drivers if they will attend. Once again you are disrespecting the club.
A month or so ago it became rather clear that the "Burke Company" was not going to be forthcoming on a Burke II event for this season.
We discussed this possibility at our end of year meeting in December and tossed around some ideas for other venues. Ascutney did not come up in this discussion. The discussion ended with a few people offering to gather information, and they were asked to bring that information back to the club. One other thing that should be mentioned here. We were still talking to Burke about securing a second date and had not gotten a definite 'no' yet. We didn't get the final decision from Burke until Feb. 15th. The date we were talking about was August 27 & 28... the same dates you booked Ascutney for. You have my home phone number, my cell phone number and my email address, but you didn't think it was important enough to let me know what was going on. I even brought this up at the KSCC meeting we had on the 12th, and still not a word.
On Saturday 2/12 I met with my co-chair of operations, the new Killington President, Victor Parrotta, and brought him up to date. Soon after, Victor spoke with the presidents of both clubs, SCCV and SCCNH, about the date/location and that we planned to "race to the very top". We received happy blessings from both. Then, at first opportunity, Victor made the general announcement
Perhaps you should have let them know at that time that this was not an event that was approved by KSCC and that only two members of KSCC actually knew anything about it. Seems there was a pretty big lack of communication and sharing of information all the way around. Victor also told me that he wanted to talk about it at the meeting and he was told not to by you, Earl, because it might turn into a long discussion. He also said that you didn't want him to make any kind of announcement that night, but rather just announce it on the forum. Sounds like he was getting pretty bad advice given that he is the president of the club and it is his job to be upfront and discuss all things concerning the club WITH the club. As the person elected as president by the members of the club, I think that this should have been his roll in all of this and not, what is it you call him, YOUR co-chair of operations. So, without ever having ANY discussion with any of the members of KSCC YOU gathered information, secured a date for an event at Ascutney, booked that date, and decided that you and Victor would chair the event. Then at the NEHA banquet, Victor had a five minute conversation with Dave Burden, Chris Rielly, and Steve Jones, and then made a general announcement about an event that KSCC was sponsoring that no one at KSCC knew anything about... It's hard to believe that you can't understand why this would upset anyone.
Poor Victor has been getting........not very friendly.......emails telling him what a screw up he is and everyone hates the idea of a Killington Ascutney. I am not, at this point in time, at all certain that this is accurate, however, the point here is that Victor is not to be blamed---so stop yelling at him!!.
I would be more than happy to share the emails that I sent to Victor with anyone on this forum. They were all respectful and stated that I knew that Victor had the best interests of the club at heart. I still believe this but think that he was given misinformation by you, Earl. You have been a member of the club forever and a past president. You know how things need to be done and that no one individual has the power to do what you did without club authorization. I'm assuming that people are contacting Victor because he is the president of KSCC. I'm sure they didn't realize that he was acting as your co-chair of operations rather than president. And just a heads up, I'm pretty sure that no one thinks Victor is to blame for any of this.
Now I have no idea of how SCCNH went from a positive to a negative in a blink of the eye.
Dave Burden went home after the banquet and shared the information that Victor had given him that night via an email to the SCCNH board (what a concept, sharing information with your club)... 'KSCC will be having an event at Ascutney in August. Do you think it will be ok for KSCC to borrow SCCNH's wire'. They were angry, and I don't blame them, that all of this was done with no discussion BEFORE you made all these plans. They found out that things were not only done without their being involved, but they were done with KSCC being involved.
The other camp
There is no 'other camp'. We are one club with common goals and respect for each other as well as the members of the other clubs. Kudos are definitely in order, Earl, for going out and finding another hill. But the way you dealt with everything after that is what I am questioning. You have put the good relationship that we share with the other clubs at risk.
It is not too late to cancel the Killington Ascutney event....BUT
There is no Killington Ascutney event until the club discusses and votes on it. Not sure why you don't understand this. I would not be comfortable supporting this event without the support of SCCNH. Just like I would not support our getting a hill at Philo without having a discussion with SCCV. Just common courtesy.

Just my opinion.

Michele Baumann
Breathe in... breathe out... move on.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Leave it to Earl to make a short story very long and complicated. To respond only to the final question in Earls original post (and the only relevant question since this is NOT a NEHA event yet, just an idea and what sounds like maybe an available venue - despite announcements suggesting otherwise)...

Would I attend?

I will not attend or support this event without its approvals by both KSCC and SCCNH memberships. At this point, I (as a KSCC member and the person responsible for KSCC communications equipment) do not support approval of it.
Last edited by walterclark on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the better I was.
Number_5
AntiSpam: No

Post by Number_5 »

Victor,
I would suggest that you poll our board members to see if a meeting to resolve this would be in order.
I think you could do that using the EMAIL route instead of this forum or even delegate the job..
John Marsha
A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings.
Albert
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

It's been brought up a few times that everyone should be happy we have the possiblility of another event. I'd be happy to get a $1000 but that's not the same as saying I'm ok with using any means to get it.
Number_5

Post by Number_5 »

But, would you take it? Especially if it meant you could by Genesee Cream Ale for all your friends?
We don’t want to throw out the baby with the bath water.
I don’t think it is the first time the club presidents have made decisions for the clubs.
When these three club presidents made this decision I’m sure they thought they would have the majority of their club behind them. We should at least convene to determine that, one way or the other.
Respectfully
John Marsha
A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings.
Albert
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Number_5 wrote:But, would you take it? Especially if it meant you could by Genesee Cream Ale for all your friends?
As much fun as that might be :) in this case I wouldn't take it.
kindabratty328

Post by kindabratty328 »

When these three club presidents made this decision I’m sure they thought they would have the majority of their club behind them.
I don't believe that the SCCNH or SCCV club presidents 'made this decision'. The weren't consulted for their input or thoughts PRIOR to being told that KSCC had already secured this date. They were also not told that KSCC was not included in this decision, so any opinions they might have offered were based on mis-information.
Breathe in... breathe out... move on.
jkale

Post by jkale »

Man do I really hate politics... Hopefully we can get all of it outta the way and actually have an Ascutney 3...
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

SCCV was only asked if our wire would be available to help do the long course. Of which we replied we would have to ask the membership.

I am sure KSCC and SCCNH can come to an agreement after each club has discussed the details between their members.
Nick
Number_5

Post by Number_5 »

And so am I.
John
Albert