Bolt in Miata Hardtop

Marty_E
AntiSpam: No

Bolt in Miata Hardtop

Post by Marty_E »

First post so I'll introduce myself. I'm Marty, and for those of you who remember I ran Okemo 1 with my dad in a black scirocco. For Ascutney we're hoping to bring my brother along as well, so that means my new-to-me Miata will hopefully be pushed into service.

My question is on the safety requirements for a convertible, any knowledge directly pertaining to miatas would be helpful too. My car came with a factory hard top, and I saw in my searches that Walter said a bolt in hard top would allow me to run. If I were to get mazdaspeed bolt-in hard top brackets, a la spec miata, would I be all set or do I need a roll bar?

Thanks
Marty
walterclark

Re: Bolt in Miata Hardtop

Post by walterclark »

To be specific part: 0000-04-5997 ? Yes, that will be fine.
The older I get the better I was.
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

Yes those are what I was thinking. Awesome, thanks Walter.
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

And just to be clear, is a roll bar under the same scrutiny in that it needs a diagonal if it's over a 3' span?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

The rule for roll bars - as an option in place of a hardtop - is that it must meet the construction requirements of the main hoop in the cage requirements. That includes material size and bracing. So it must at least have a diagonal within the hoop if over a 3' span as you noted plus front and/or rear bracing.
The older I get the better I was.
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

Thought so, just wanted to be sure. Went with the bolt in hardtop for this year, next year I hope to get a roll bar.