AntiSpam: No

Re: seat recommendations

Post by dsldubn »

Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I would sit in them 1st--fit matters. although Racearama is no more (vendor + race car show) , there is a swap meet at the Big E Jan 21st-22nd-there might be vendors there.
The road race seat would have more padding for the ride to+ from the hill-the circle track would be ok (what I have) I'd steer clear of the drag race one.
If you wanted to takew a ride down to Adams,Ma.,I bet you could try out the sizes + styles at Capital Motorsports. http://cmwraceparts.com/
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Terry.Murphy

Post by Terry.Murphy »

I have the intermediate RR seat and the 17" fits my 6'6" 250lb frame just fine and it overly comfortable for what it is. My 5'7" father also fits in the seat, albeit a little loose, but is comfortable when he uses it. We have it set on sliders in the RS.
2010 Subaru Forester DD
1996 Legacy Outback Wagon - Winter Beater
2001 Impreza RS - Project Autox/Hillclimb/Track Car
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

The Kirkey catalog has measurements of their standard size seats, and instructions of how to take the measurements. if you are close to a standard size, great - if not (Like me, made of spare parts....), they do "made to measure".

Comfort in the Kirkey seat (I sleep in mine in staging) has to do with the high density foam , and especially the contour bottom.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

thanks for the replies.

I like the road race seat, but it's a bit more than I've got to spend at the moment...so still looking at other options. This seat looks like it'd work well too..
http://kirkeyracing.com/index.php?link= ... ies36#nogo

Sherm, I'm curious why you'd say stay away from the drag seat. Is it because of it doesnt' have as much wrap around at the ribs? The rest of the dimensions look similar to the oval track seats.

Also, per our rules, would a kirkey require a seat brace?
Jason Orzell
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

that looks almost exactly like what I have but mine has a flatter bottom (cause it is so old?) and yes if not FIA would need a seat brace, I can take a picture of mine if you would like, it allows for forward and back adjustment (with a couple of wrenches)
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

sounds good Dave, thanks.
also like this ultra shield seat...spec miata, but would be a great fit in the rabbit
http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=9
Jason Orzell
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

No rib support + I'm betting being for drag racing, there will be little to no padding. Comfort + sitting in the seat for a long time are'nt an issue-weight is.
I have my seat bolted in 4 places on the floor-2 about shoulder height-and just recently, 2 thru the head rest area. (I'd tweak it sliding in + out thru the roof.)
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
smokey15

Post by smokey15 »

Jason,

I have an Ultra Shield seat (Rally model; 16 inches wide that I replaced with a Kirkey 15 inch Intermediate and included shoulder supports. If you're interested in the Ultra Shield, let me know.
Smokey