Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: BURKE 2012!

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

BugEyeRex wrote:Thanks everyone for putting on a great event. Fantastic job by Sherman for ordering perfect weather for Burke. The times available at the top of the hill was awsome! It worked perfectly for my wifi mp3 player. Looking foward to Okemo.
I order good weather every year-this was just the 1st time it was delivered! ;)
And did it get delivered! Wow-I can't remember more perfect weather for a hillclimb. (Well-we won't count setting the hill up in the rain Friday. :cry: ) And so many things went right,it was uncanny. ('cept for the mechanical failures by a few.) Many willing workers-many hands willing to do all the behind the scenes work-to make it it a great weekend for drivers + workers alike.
The 1st order of business was to get as many workers fam runs as possible. Drivers went as far as bolting seats back in their cars. (Thanks guys!) We had fewer takers than I thought-but it was there if they wanted. Smokey's 1st shot at Control provided a calm, soothing voice to the wire. Workers got suprised when they found they now have their own t-shirt! (I'm a V.I.W.-very importiant worker)
After Saturdays runs, the pizza delivery guy (Hoagies in Lyndonville) shows up and unloads enough pies for all the drivers and workers. Not just cheese or pepperoni-Michele ordered up a good variety-hawaiian-veggie-sausage pepper onion-etc. And boy was it good. Also on the table were a bunch of glow sticks-all night long you could see people and dogs walking around colorfully glowing. :) The sunset cruise had many takers-the sunset was great (you ever see a bad one from up there?) and the moss was glowing brightly too.
Sunday morning started without a cloud in the sky (you SURE it was Burke?) and stayed that way! No moss on the road-no leaves-just perfect conditions. Cars were going quick-AND staying on the road. At lunch, the workers found out they had more freebies coming to them. Everybody went home with armloads of stuff. :) By 4 pm we already had 6 runs in. The only time the wrecker rolled was for Kevins broken car on Sat. The hill was torn down quickly-by 6 pm we had awards-and by 6:30 the event was in the bag. Phew-I'm calling it a major sucess.
One disappointment-Kevin G. + Kevin R. both broke their cars on Sat. With Rhoady already in the 2:03's -and Kevin Gale just scratching the surface with a 2:04, there coulda been a wild 3 way shoot-out for FTD. I didn't go into the weekend thinking I had a shot at FTD-but if both of them had kept running, I would have pushed hard to keep up. I guessed someone would have been in the 2:01's--or in the woods. :twisted:
Highlights: Josh getting the other FTD. (fastest of the Dennis's) won P1 with a small homebuilt 4 cylinder (hmm-sound familiar? :lol: ) and getting 2nd overall!
Close class: In bikes, Max beat Joe--by only 7 hundredths! :o
Old friends sightings: Dad Dennis was able to watch 2 generations race (and even though he didnt need the cooking trailer, still managed to make up some soup out thin air.)
Gibby was there for a bit-I think he was there to watch the motorcycles ;) -at least he showed up on one.
Old friend but newbie: Nancy Hinchman raced for the 1st time after many years of being a regular at hills-in her Mini. She quickly learned to lie like the rest of us. :lol:
DID YOU KNOW: Even though I was Nancy's first hill at speed, it wasn't the cars. Former owner Sarah G. (or the other Sarah G. :P ) ran it at Okemo "2 days after I mailed in my 1st car payment."
Land of misfit toys: Oh-we're quite the sight-El Camino Jetta-Caged Subbie Wagon-diesel VW's-rear engine Neon-4 wheel motorcycles-colorfully bunch we are. 8-)
Thank you all who worked-raced-helped when asked-helped when not even asked-planned-donated--we couldn't have done it without you. :D
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Great event!

I was worried about that 2:01 or woods thing. I think the torque arm broke to save me from trying to go too fast! :lol:

I did tear it apart last night. Bent both shocks just as I expected. The driveshaft and transmission look fine though. Shouldn't be any problem getting it back together before Okemo.