Super Race Roll Cage Kit Opinions

linc44
AntiSpam: No

Super Race Roll Cage Kit Opinions

Post by linc44 »

Hi all,

I am in the process of researching options for a roll cage for the 2013 NEHA season. After seeing the group buy on harnesses currently going on, I was looking around the safedrives.com website and found this cage kit that fits my 2004 STI:

http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.asp?prod=APSRRC

According to the harness group buy thread, the (potential) 23% discount could also be applied to cage kits as well, making this an even more attractive option. Looking through the "Technical and Safety Requirements" page, it appears that the kit, if installed right, would be legal for NEHA events. My only concern would be with rule E.8 "Welded mountings must be socketed, gusseted, or “doubler” plated" because the website has no information about the mounting plates other than that they are "high quality, pre-fabricated units".

Does anyone have experience with similar cage kits, or opinions on this one? All would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Lincoln
sachilles

Re: Super Race Roll Cage Kit Opinions

Post by sachilles »

The kit is sold to be legal with Rally America or NASA rules which should make it legal to NEHA standards and then some. Keep in mind it will still need some custom fitting, so you'll want a skilled cage builder involved. I believe it is an autopower product.
While the price seems good on the surface, you'll still have to pay for install/welding, so you may find the finished cost to be comparable or more than a cage built from scratch from a local vendor.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Mopar 151w2
AntiSpam: No

Re: Super Race Roll Cage Kit Opinions

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

If you weld the foot plates to the floor, they become "doubler" plates.
Bolted foot plates must be at least 3x tube area, and use at least
3 grade 5 (or better) bolts each with large washers or “sandwich “plates
Basically, this rule is written around bolt-in cages like Autopower