mini austin project

minirally
AntiSpam: No

Re: mini austin project

Post by minirally »

ok thanks for the info, i dont want to make trouble, i,ll go with a pick up and....a motel :P
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared, Understeer is when the driver is scared
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Welcome! Looks forward to seeing your car.

At Ascutney, getting a large vehicle in does require some planning and reserving the right campsites. Probably late for Ascutney now as we have a number of regulars that have such vehicles and reserve suitable sites way ahead. What is left might not fit you well in a good size RV (e.g. over 24'). Burke does have a nice large parking lot just outside the campground where many of those with RV's stay. No advance reservation is needed and it is short walking distance to the campground/pits. We all (that is everyone who sleeps on site) stay in a really large lot at Okemo that is also the "pits". No reservations there...first come first served except for a few that take the same spots every time - give or take a few feet either way - but they are usually there way early Friday.
The older I get the better I was.
minirally

Post by minirally »

thanks for the info guys..very helpful!! i want to register this week end, just want to know if tech give some chance for my first event if they look at car, not talking about security,i have full race rally cage,nomex,Hans device and all need to drive fast and secure..but,maybe little goodies i can forget? To be honest, it is my worries, since its 10 hours of road up and down... and maybe cannot change things at your place. :cry: sorry if i ask all these question,its long way from home...just want to be sure and make things right! i,m like a kid morning of chrismas thinking in a month i,ll be with you,and made new friends with the same passion. Racing!!
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared, Understeer is when the driver is scared
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Don and I do tech so I am good to talk to ahead about it.

These are the few things that catch some people out the first time and can be a pain to correct at the last minute:

Portable fire extinguisher, properly mounted. Read the rules for what we require. Our requirements are not exotic but a 2 pound dry chemical disposable with plastic mounting straps wont do. We are sticklers about the extinguisher and its mounting.

Helmet. M20xx helmets are NOT accepted. SA2005+ or FIA.

Door panels covered. We want to see either the original style door panels or a smooth alternative covering over the interior of the door wherever your arms, hands or legs might get tangled up in structure or metal edges. If the doors are completely gutted it is OK to simply apply a suitable edge covering (I use a self adhering door edge moulding I get off ebay) around the doors interior perimeter sheet metal edge in lieu of a panel. Again we want to be sure no metal edges can cause an injury.

Vehicle safety. Occasionally we find worn ball joints, frayed belts or wildly out of date race belts.

Horn. We require one. It can be as simple as a hand held compressed air horn, or an OEM like installation. We just need to be sure you have one.

We do have rules regarding cages, along with the required clothing and head and neck restraints if the cage is required. However, if a cage doesnt meet our rules, or something is wrong or missing regarding the clothing or H&NR, and entrant can still compete but will be required to run under the "breakout" rule. The breakout time isnt all that slow so its not the end of the earth if someone has to run above it.

Post some pics of your cage and I can tell you if its likely to be OK or not. Of course I wont be able to tell anything about the construction quality or material from the photos, but the design should be obvious, and you can read about the material and construction requirements in our rules.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

It's very much a community. If you do tech on Friday evening, and fail, you'll have plenty of folks to help you fix the problem by Saturday morning. The better the beer you bring, the more help you'll get :lol:

ABC fire extinguisher with a metal bracket.
Some type of working horn.
Seat belt harness mounting and seats.
Sfi roll bar padding on all bars near you head.
One trash bag in your car at all times.
Battery is secured.
I assume your car is going into prepared class, so you'll need a kill switch.

There are enough local people to the hill, that can help with last minute parts needs.

I realize English isn't your first language, so our rules may not be the easiest understand. As Walter suggested if you can post MANY pictures of the car, we can all look to see if there are any obvious problems. Pictures with doors open, under the hood, harness and seat mounting, kill switch location, cage. You can't have too many pictures.....beside we want to see more of you car anyway.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Good catches Seth. I forgot about the proper padding and belt mountings.

We do get a number of first time competitors either without any or with non-FIA/non-SFI certified padding in the helmet contact areas of the cage. Either SFI 45.1 or FIA 8857-2001 Type A is accepted. In Canada, SFI may be harder to find than FIA and frankly the FIA stuff is better.

The harness mountings dont often result in disqualification unless horribly wrong, but we will advise mis-located anchor points be moved and to where before next time. The locations we look for are in accordance with harness manufacturer/FIA/SFI rules and guidelines and are aimed at avoiding belt failures or belt-caused driver injury.
minirally

Post by minirally »

good!! thanks for all the info.

detail of the roll cage

when it was a pro-rally car about ten years ago

walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I can't quite see all the cage form those. Need more detail (more interior light) to see the lateral rollbars, main hoop, and mounting pads. From what I do see it looks OK.

Your doors are completely gutted so just be sure there is a protective strip over the exposed interior edges. As I said I use a self adhering door edge guard. This is as close to what I use as I can find on ebay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Door-Edge ... 6706245%26
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I see a couple of small things.
You need a radiator overflow bottle.
The wires going thru the rear bulkhead--is there a grommet in the hole? (you don't want wires going thru a sharp metal edge.)
Harness bar? Walter you know more about this than me. But is that bar low?
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Sherm, If you mean the bar immediately behind the seat, then yes that wont do for shoulder harnesses. The lower horizontal bar running between the backstays is lower and further away than ideal but is legal for Hans today.
Last edited by walterclark on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.