Harnessing

General Regulations on how a NEHA hillclimb should function, how the series works, etc.
KevinGale

Re: Harnessing

Post by KevinGale »

Just wanted to point out that this is all for a car that will probably run well under the breakout time. So even if we do want it changed maybe we can give a one event waiver? Just a suggestion.
SevenhundredS
AntiSpam: No

Post by SevenhundredS »

walterclark wrote:The single strap from the shoulder harness bolt end to your rear deck isnt part of the Dragonslayer harness set. What exactly is it? It sort of looks like parts from another harness. Does it have an in-date (<3 years from date of manufacture) SFI label? And I curious, why did you go with the V rather than the separate shoulder straps?
AH BUSTED! You are correct. The single strap extension is from the retired lap belt of the previous 5 point harness. Retired for age not condition or having seen the light of day (literally and figuratively). And you are correct, I would have saved my self a lot of hassle if I'd just gotten the harness with the separate shoulder straps. The only reason I got the "V" was because it seemed most similar to the one I was retiring. Problem was it didn't reach the back deck but the separate strap type does.

Looks like I'll put an end to this conversation by just sucking it up and getting the separate mount type.

Thanks again,
Mike

((P.S. Does it matter that my car doesn't go 80 mph without a down slope, tail wind, and large spinnaker hoisted))
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

A quick look at your harness manufacturer shows they sell just the shoulder belts. You could also just get the shoulder belts from speedway, jegs, or summit and have them in time for next weekend.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I havent been able to connect with Don yet today.

I am hoping we can come up with something, either a workaround or a rationalization to let you run without you having to buy a new harness or weld in a harness bar for next weekend.

FWIW: I looked them up and Dragonslayer gets more for 2 replacement individual shoulder harnesses than for a new 5 point set. In fact the sum of all the bits are almost twice the complete set price. The individual shoulder straps are 68 inches long, versus the 36" for the V type.
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Well if Don is OK with a just recently expired sfi belt set, I'd be happy to bring one I have along this weekend for your use. It was valid last season. I think it expired in Feb, but I'll verify tonight. I have new bolt in hardware to go with it, as I use clip on style.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
shelbyeast

Post by shelbyeast »

Hello, Walt called me tonight about the seat belt installation in the BMW. The V belt and Y belt are considered one in the same they are not legal to use at NEHA events. The easiest and best way to fix the belt issue would be to remove the small support bar that is welded to the cage to correct the angle of the belts and remove it and replace it with a bar minimum of 1.750 / .090. wall weld that to the cage and run the approved seat belt set up being carefull to keep the belt to seat angle correct. Don Taylor
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

1 3/4" for an (I presume) an under 1500 lb car?
No skin in the game for me-I just like see Don posting. ;)
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
SevenhundredS

Post by SevenhundredS »

sdwarf36 wrote:1 3/4" for an (I presume) an under 1500 lb car?
No skin in the game for me-I just like see Don posting. ;)
Yes, this car weighs in at 1400 lbs. and has about 50 hp. Is this the part where I'm supposed to puff up my chest and say, "Yeah, but she's wiry."

Maybe I should swap the engine out for a BMW M70 engine and make it worth my while... :twisted:
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Don and I talked again this morning. The best solution as we both stated seems to be welding in either a straight or U shaped main hoop sized tube at the right height between the main hoop uprights and switch to a 5 point anchoring system harness. But as time is short...

The V type harness has to go (replaced with a regular 5 anchor point type). For Ascutney you can just bolt the 2 shoulder belts back to 2 spots on the crossmember to which the present single point bolts.

By the way, all this is only required at the drivers position for Ascutney as you will not be competing with a passenger.

If it sounds like we are being harsh, we arent just mindful. We have had hard impact offs on bring-downs when power was mainly gravity.
The older I get the better I was.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

"" If it sounds like we are being harsh, we arent just mindful. We have had hard impact offs on bring-downs when power was mainly gravity.""
And a car that can come to a sudden stop if it hits a sapling... :lol:

Don't feel bad 700-I've done the hill in a used up vw diesel (non turbo even :cry: ) with 2 people in the car-never had to lift once. ( but did have to go into 1st a couple of times)-so you most likely won't be the slowest run ever.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.