First Timer with a Few Questions

Jaay07
AntiSpam: No

First Timer with a Few Questions

Post by Jaay07 »

I'll be picking up my Saab 9-2X tomorrow and I'm coming from a Porsche 944 S2 which I autocrossed about a half dozen times. I wish I had found out about hillclimbing when I had the 944, but this looks like a great way to continue some amateur motorsports in the new Saabaru (it's a Subaru WRX badged by Saab).

I was skimming the tech specs and it looks like you need a 5 point seatbelt? Is this true or will the stock 3 point work for the stock/street class? Also, when I raced with the Porsche club they had a few loaner helmets, does the NEHA have any loaners? I saw that on a given gay you can get anywhere from 1 to 5 runs depending on x,y,z--what would you say the average amount of runs is?
sdwarf36

Re: First Timer with a Few Questions

Post by sdwarf36 »

If you are running your car stock (in our 'U' unprepared class) stock belts are allowed.
Sorry-we dont have any loaner helmets-and when you do go to buy one, make sure its an SA helmet--not a M. (Snell ratings--SA is car-M is motorcycle.) Look for the tag inside under the padding.
Lord willin' + the creek don't rise-4 a day is probably a safe number to call an average.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

If you are running your car stock (in our 'U' unprepared class) stock belts are allowed.
Sherman... I don't agree this answered the question completly as a cage is not required in Street Prepared unless you break out, therefore, a harness is not required. The rules state that a harness is required if you have a cage.
4. COCKPIT
A. Belts
1. An SFI or FIA approved 5-, 6-, or 7-point harness assembly is mandatory
for all cars with roll cages, and strongly advised for all cars.
1. Roll cage required in all cars with the exception of:
(a) Any Unprepared or Street Prepared car that has a time greater than the
break-out time established for each course (crosses the finish line with
a time that is greater than the break-out time) satisfies the exemption
requirement.
Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Jaay07

Post by Jaay07 »

Sounds good, thanks for the all info.

So how often does a driver with a stock/street car beat the break out time? Is it a difficult time to beat? If you're driving your daily driver and there's no real possiblity in installing a roll cage and you're a decent driver do you have to consciously hold back to stay under the break out time?
rabbithead

Post by rabbithead »

If your driving the Saaburu, Saturday you would learn the course probley not breakout. Sunday you might later in the day you might have to consider letting off for a second or 2, but thats if the weather is good all weekend, and you driving a wagon, you might not breakout on a first-timer status, the 2.0T motors are great for hillclimbs and you would have a blast and a great experience. But I never seen how you drive, but if you have some autocross exper. you'll like this more most likey
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

^^^^basically what he said. Not knowing the hill the breakout time will feel fast. Once you get to know the hill, and get comfortable with driving the roads the breakout times arent slow, but will be easy to hit. it just depends on your comfort level with the car, and pushing it on the mountain roads.
Nick