Troyer Mod for sale - cheap and local

For Sale (FS), Want to Buy (WTB), or Free cars or car parts
Chief Geek
AntiSpam: No

Re: Troyer Mod for sale - cheap and local

Post by Chief Geek »

Larson wrote:I was thinking a Chevy LS in one. The fuel injection intake manifold would allow the air cleaner to be mounted in less in the way location.

Larson, I'm surprised. I thought you'd lean toward using a VW 4-, 5-, or 6- cyl that runs intake manifold pressures that are way above atmospheric.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

Mopar 151w2 wrote:Imagine a Volvo or Pugeot turbo engine in one of these, or a BMW M-series.
Not that I'm going to be considering things like this for a few years, but... How much room are in these things? I've never seen one without a giant V8 installed. Clearly, there are plenty of cubic feet available, but I don't know about the shape of the space.

Also, how much do these "modifieds" weigh, minus engine?

If it would fit, I'd love to see a 13B rotary, or some other "unconventional" choice for power. Like this, maybe:

Paul
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

13B weighs about what a V-8 does, occuppys similar space. Kevin's Troyer is just under 2300 wet, figure 550# for engine. Engine bay is relatively unobstructed - closest around the footbox & master cylinders. A 3-rotor 13B would rock!

We saw a Troyer-ish basket case on the trip, in the $800 range
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

Mopar 151w2 wrote:13B weighs about what a V-8 does

I don't think that's right. Many years ago, I dead lifted a 12A with intake manifold, cast iron "thermal reactor", and flywheel still on it. Either 13Bs are made out of depleted uranium or I'm way stronger than I thought. I'm pretty sure a fully functional 13B installation with cooling system, plus transmission, weighs 500 lbs.

Dave Esty, if your out there: You've had a 13B on the floor recently. Please post if I've gotten this totally wrong.
Mopar 151w2

Weight a minute

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Finer points - afik, a 13B is roughly equal to a SB Ford, which weighs 100# less than a comparable SB Chevy, the Mopar weighs a little more, but the stock accessories are way heavier.
Dave Patten had a Mazda pickup with a SB Ford - the "RX Ford" - which was ridiculously fast. IIRC, moving the battery to the bed behind the cab made any ride height adjustments unnecessary.
Shenglehoffer

Post by Shenglehoffer »

13b-REW 388.4lbs
That's with flywheel and turbos.
Erik Saunders
Troyer mod (needs a better name)
Death Mod (RIP)
Shenglehöffer E30 (RIP)
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

On the subject of a new name/number for the latest of the Shinglehofer stable, I consulted Doktor Snake at Voodoo U.,http://www.doktorsnake.com/ who was hittin' a bong made from an elephant's shinbone, and clearing his throat with a little Yukon Jack. Best as I can recollect, this was his advice:
“Luck numbers ain’t the same as lucky numbers. Don’t confuse the two. Seven is a lucky number to conjure or hoodoo by. Nine is better. Three is also a good number. Five is better, though. Four times four is the great number. Neither the Devil, nor his wife, can refuse to help you in working a charm with that number written into it. Ten is an unlucky number. Don’t never go near it.”
Or you could evaluate potential numbers using the aincent lore of domino fortunetelling, as related to me by Madame Sonja....
Here’s what you do:
■Place all dominoes face down and then shuffle them.
■Use three dominoes for the reading. You can select them in either of two ways: (1) Pick up all three at once, or (2) choose them one at a time, reading the chosen domino and divining its message and then returning it to the pile to be shuffled again.
■With the second method, you could find yourself drawing the same tile twice. If this happens, whatever you have predicted is likely to come to pass very soon, or even immediately.
■Which ever way you pick up the dominoes, it’s best to use only three at one sitting.
Here are the meanings:

DOUBLE SIX: The luckiest domino of them all, forecasting happiness, success, and prosperity in all aspects of life.

SIX/FIVE: Enhanced status, the presence of a close friend or patron, a sign that any kindness will bring you esteem, a caution toward patience and tenacity.

SIX/FOUR: A quarrel, perhaps even an unsuccessful lawsuit.

SIX/THREE: Travel, enjoyment, a happy holiday; a gift.

SIX/TWO: Good luck and improved circumstances, but only for those who are honest.

SIX/ONE: A wedding; an end to problems, possibly as a result of the intervention of a good friend.

SIX/BLANK: Beware of false friends, for their malicious gossip could cause suffering for you.

DOUBLE FIVE: Change bringing success, a beneficial move, money that results from a new idea.

FIVE/FOUR: Financial luck, possibly unexpected, but avoid making investments at this time.

FIVE/THREE: Calm, serenity; a guest; good news or helpful advice given to you by your boss or a visitor.

FIVE/TWO: Birth, influence from a true patient friend, sociability and enjoyment.

FIVE/ONE: A love affair or new friend, possible unhappy endings for those who are in love.

FIVE/BLANK: Sadness, the necessity of comforting a friend in trouble but with tact and caution.

FOUR/FOUR: Happiness, celebration, relaxation, fun.

FOUR/THREE: Happiness and success instead of expected disappointments but possible domestic problems.

FOUR/TWO: An unhappy change, setbacks, loss, possibly a theft. Beware of a deceitful acquaintance.

FOUR/ONE: Financial problems ahead, pay outstanding debts.

FOUR/BLANK: Bad news; disappointment in love, temporarily thwarted goals. Reconcile disagreements.

DOUBLE THREE: Emotional obstacles, jealousy, but beneficial financial indications; a wedding.

THREE/TWO: Pleasant changes, but be cautious – particularly where monetary matters are concerned.

THREE/ONE: The answer to your question is no, unexpected useful news, outsiders could cause problems.

THREE/BLANK: Unexpected problems at home and work.

DOUBLE TWO: Success and happiness, in spite of the efforts your enemies may be making against you.

TWO/ONE: Loss of money or property, but old friends and a happy social life.

TWO/BLANK: Travel and new friends, but also anxiety. Someone could cause serious difficulties.

DOUBLE ONE: Pleasure, harmony, and affection; a stranger; avoid delaying an important decision.

ONE/BLANK: Be careful; do not let yourself be overly trusting, even though a stranger could bring you news that seems to promise financial gain.

DOUBLE BLANK: Direst omens, negative indications in all areas of life.
Larson

Post by Larson »

Chief Geek wrote:
Larson wrote:I was thinking a Chevy LS in one. The fuel injection intake manifold would allow the air cleaner to be mounted in less in the way location.

Larson, I'm surprised. I thought you'd lean toward using a VW 4-, 5-, or 6- cyl that runs intake manifold pressures that are way above atmospheric.

Paul

I want to stop blowing up engines and make runs. :D

I'll be happy to see Eric back at the hills.
Larson Schultz

El Jemino Hillcimb Special V1.0
Shenglehoffer

Post by Shenglehoffer »

John,
First off, wowsers... That's a lot of work to pick a number. I'm still gonna be 68, and I recently found out that was Shortmans number so I feel pretty honored. I was thinking the new mod needs a fancy name. The DeathMod is gonna be hard to top. I could take a page from Moultroup racing and just call it Troy, a bit plain for me though

Second, please send my your email, I have some questions for you
Deathmetalfab@gmail.com

Larson,
The key to engine longevity is less boost and no VWs. Go get yourself a nice old American slab of iron and beat the snot out of it! The engine in the Dmod had, I think 12 seasons on it, and I still turned it to 7100rpm (stock crank FTW)
... It did however have that little crankcase ventilation issue, easy fix with a big hose and bucket trick though.
Erik Saunders
Troyer mod (needs a better name)
Death Mod (RIP)
Shenglehöffer E30 (RIP)
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I'm thinking of naming mine Tree Hugger.