Head/neck restraints

Seralan
AntiSpam: No

Head/neck restraints

Post by Seralan »

I have read the rules, but want to understand a little better. I am currently caging a Focus SVT to compete in NEHA events. I do not believe based on my past experience that I will be faster then the breakout times. Do I need a Hans or other device simply because I have the cage? If I'm slower the breakout can I run without a Hans? If I do breakout will I be banned from running permanently if I am not wearing a Hans?

The rules have changed a lot since I last perticipated in a hillclimb event. I am all for safety and want to follow the rules. I am also on a limited budget to get back into the sport, so if I can hold off for even half a season on blowing $600 on the head/next restraint, that would be beneficial.

Thanks for any info,

Alan
sdwarf36

Re: Head/neck restraints

Post by sdwarf36 »

Seralan wrote:I have read the rules, but want to understand a little better. I am currently caging a Focus SVT to compete in NEHA events. I do not believe based on my past experience that I will be faster then the breakout times. Do I need a Hans or other device simply because I have the cage? NO If I'm slower the breakout can I run without a Hans? YESIf I do breakout will I be banned from running permanently if I am not wearing a Hans? NO you'd get the normal 1st breakout warning.

The rules have changed a lot since I last perticipated in a hillclimb event. I am all for safety and want to follow the rules. I am also on a limited budget to get back into the sport, so if I can hold off for even half a season on blowing $600 on the head/next restraint, that would be beneficial.

Thanks for any info,

Alan
If you go quicker that breakout you need cage-Hans-firesuit. If you don't hit BO you don't NEED all of them-but its darn good idea.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

During tech you will be asked to produce the suit and Hans required of a car/driver running without a breakout restriction. If you do not have both you will need to apply an X to your car after each of your car numbers (it will also go into the timing database) and run with times slower than breakout in mind. The X informs timing that you are running under the breakout rule so they can easily identify if you have done a time quicker than breakout and let the event chair know so he/she can issue you your warning.

With the timing system we have in place today you can get your time almost immediately on a smartphone or other wi-fi enabled device with a web browser while parked in holding. So it is easy for you to keep track of your times. This works well at Ascutney and Burke where we all gather in an upper parking lot and our wi-fi router coverage is good. At Okemo, if you are well back in the run group order of a good sized group you will be well up the road from the holding overlook after you finish your run and your wi-fi connection to the repeater at the overlook may be poor.
The older I get the better I was.
Seralan

Post by Seralan »

Ok,
So, the short answer is yes you need to have a restraint, because not having one is going to take all the fun out out of running.

I understand and appreciate the fact that uncaged cars can participate in hillclimbs. Doing so has been one of my favorite experiences in Motorsport. It just feels like the rules associated with being safer have gotten more cumbersome. I think that maybe a safety equipment matrix might help people to more easily understand what is required when.

First column: x cars, required equipment: helmet, extinguishers, no nylon "must not break out"

Second column: all other cars, required equipment: helmet, cage, belts, Hans, no nylon, extinguisher "you don't have to hold back"

You know when I look at it like this, it doesn't seem so bad. But reading the rules made the breakout vs cage/restraint thing seem very hard to follow.

Just my 2 cents,

Alan
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Seralan wrote:Ok,
So, the short answer is yes you need to have a restraint, because not having one is going to take all the fun out out of running.
Well I would certainly recommend the restraint. Even staying below the breakout, its possible to reach speeds where an impact could hurt your neck without a restraint.

But, a lot of our hillclimbing group have lots of fun without getting near the breakout, and even in cars fast enough to breakout, most will not hit this time their first visit to a hill. YMMV. About half the drivers will not breakout at any given event. A few are holding back to avoid breaking out but most are driving as fast as they can. We encourage drivers to stay safe and slowly improve times as they learn a road and begin to master the best way up in their car.
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

I've been running a caged car for 3 seasons now. Last year I ran the season with an X because I did not own a head and neck restraint. The year before, before the rules were in place for the head and neck restraints, I broke out at a couple hills. The cage was ok'd years ago, and I have a fire suit, just the H&NR kept me under the break out last year.

I hope to get one this year, so I don't have to worry about the break out...but it's still fun either way. I had tons of fun staying under break out, and with my car it's tough to get there anyway.

Walter summed it up perfect; we encourage folks to have fun and slowly improve their times as they get more comfortable. This pretty much means the break out isn't much to worry about at the first events you try with a new car.
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Also the rule did change this year. It now says
SFI or FIA head and neck restraints are mandatory in cars that require cages.
previously it said
SFI or FIA head and neck restraints are mandatory for all cars running faster than the breakout time.
I take this to mean that previously you could run without a head and neck restraint in Prepared if you ran under the breakout. Now you can't.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I assumed the Focus SVT would be running in Street Prepared, but Kevin is right if in Prepared it must have a cage, and since it must have the restraint is required. In U and SP a cage is only required for cars running faster than breakout.
Seralan

Post by Seralan »

Hey everybody, thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, when I said it would only be fun without an X on the door, I meant that with all of the correct gear you only have to worry about driving.

Also, this will not be my first rodeo as I have run every event excluding Philo. The Integra I ran before was caged,I was belted had a fire suit, etc... and I was basically right at the breakout times. I assume I will not BO with this new car, but I'm not sure. I have also run uncaged in a sentra SE-R and a Talon AWD turbo. They were both fun, I wouldn't have broken out in them and there was no BO rule at that point. So nothing like the BO was ever a concern.

You have to understand that I am trying to get back into racing on a budget. I chose hillclimbing because it is fun and accessible. The problem I was having was deciding on the safety equipment I want to have going into the season. Looking at forum posts and trying to decifer the rules you start to see things like "car will be banned". I'm not interested in dealing with any of the backlash from breaking out and not being able to use my toy because of not wearing a piece if gear.

I guess what I am saying is the the extra investment up front is probably worth never having to be concerned with breakout. I'm not questioning the rules value, just trying to choose the best path for me based on my time and budget etc...

Thanks,

Alan

PS having these forums is excellent! Being able to search though other conversations is much easier then the previous thousand reply e-mails.
SevenhundredS

Post by SevenhundredS »

Another option is what folks like I am doing: a super fun car with at least as much safety equipment, or more, than is required and no chance of breaking out. I don't need to be the fastest on the hill, just improve on my own times and have a blast. :lol: