2020 Break Out Rule in Every Class, changes U & S

David Singer
AntiSpam: No

2020 Break Out Rule in Every Class, changes U & S

Post by David Singer »

To the Rules and Safety Minded NEHA FAMILY Hill Climbers;
An interesting thing happened to me on the way to the mountin top.

First, for the few that don't already know, I run the silver Focus SVT #49x in SP2. I have a solid lock on last place with not a challeger in sight. I am having a lot of fun!
So, there I was August 2nd when I drove my car to Burke, having removed the passenger seat to make room for extra camping gear.
Don gently pointed out that was a tactical error, and that I would have to be bumped into P3.
"Could I add weight?"
"No, the intent of SP classes was to allow srtreet cars to run with a few non-factory mods."
Don then observed the obvious:
"SP has become stripped race cars with a passenger seat, which was not the desired intention of the rules."
Thank you Don for allowing me to run, subject to the Break Out Rule and any driver protest who felt I unfairly garnered last place. Second seat has been reinstalled.

Here I offer a simple solution.

==> Apply the cage-vs-BreakOut Rule to ALL CLASSES.
Modify the clause
"(Note: Double-letter designation [AA, BB, etc.] refers only to Prepared
cars.)"
to read
"(Note: Double-letter designation [AA, BB, etc.] refers to all cars that exceed the Break Out Rule)"

FACT: Many vehicles in S classes are significantly faster than vehicles in P classes, but are being driven in jeans and long-sleeved tshirts without gloves or HANs. I will leave the 3-point harness issue up to debate, but will point out that some factory 3-points do not auto retract when the seat moves back. As Don pointed out, S class in general has become stripped out racers piloted by people wearing but one piece of safety gear. A helmet.

==> Let me explain why applying the Break Out Rule to all classes makes safety sense

Use my car as the example.
Note that on Aug 4 my time would have won P3, whereas I took 6th in S2. I am not complaining, just explaining that despite not breaking out, my car was safely competitive in P3 that day. Not coincidentally, P3 is the class this car belongs in for competion purposes. I run a stock NA engine on DOT tires, with only "excessive lightening" and race seats and belts for modifications.
But without a roll cage per P3 rules, I currently run with the Big Boys in S2, because SVT motors came stock with dual OH Variable cams.

==> I contend that it does not matter to the laws of physics what class assignment I have.

Same car, same mountain, same driver, same risk.
Therefore, Safety (cage, garments, seats, harness) vs Break Out Rule should be applied to all classes (with the exception of M class).

Now if you will, consider the positive effect this simple application of the Break Out Rule will have on S class. By more restrictively defining "Stock Prepared", the overly-prepared street cars that do not have a roll cage (such as mine) can be safely bumped into the appropriate P class. Not a single iota of safety will be at risk. No car will become ineligible to race in 2020. They just change class assignments.

Consequently, I also propose the following changes to the U and S classes to bring those classes back in line with NEHA intent.

=== start of Class U and S changes ====
1. Any performance modification beyond factory specs other than a change of tires shall cause a U vehicle to be classed as S. [Observation: 2019 rules for UnPrepared currently allow modifications that are suspiciously close to racing set up. A/C removed? Cat-Backs? CAI? Non-factory engine tune? After-market suspension? Larger rims? Such car has been prepared!]
2. All Class U and S vehicles must be registered and licensed to drive on public roads, and have non-expired state inspection sticker. [Observation: "Must be capable of passing a Vermont State Vehicle Inspection" is unenforceable. Lack of any state current inspection sticker is enforceable. Both classes are intended to be streetable cars, so make it that way.]
3. All factory interior upholstery (floor, sides, dash, console, ceiling) must remain in place. Custom upholstery and/or trim can be substituted or added, but nothing may be effectively removed without replacement. [Observation: "The following items may be removed: emissions equipment, sound deadening, sound system, head liner, floor covering, trunk area covering, rear seating, plastic side or rear windows." This is not a Street Car! This is a circle track race car!]
4. All factory appliances (A/C, Heat, Sound Systems, Electronics, Sound Deadening, Smog, Mirrors, Glass, and safety equipment such as air bags) must remain in place and be operational. Aftermarket substitutes of the same weight shall be acceptable.
5. All factory seating locations must have factory or aftermarket seating in the same locations. All seats must have DOT approved safety restrainsts with the exception of front non-adjustable seats which may have aftermarket safety restrainsts of 5 or more harness anchor points as described elsewhere.
6. An S class vehicle can be caged. If the "cage" and/or "roll bar(s)" fail the requirements set elsewhere, even if factory-provided, the vehicle will remain subject to the Break Out Rule.
7. No part of the vehicle's suspension or drive train is to be relocated from factory designed points. Aftermarket OEM replacement parts are allowed in U class. S class vehicles can be lowered, but U and S vehicles cannot be raised, at either or both ends. Aftermarket "performance" suspension and drive train parts are allowed in S class, but not in U class.
8. Class U and S vehicles may run any size tire that is DOT 140 or higher. [Observation: all tire companies add "not for street use" disclaimers on DOT ratings less than 140]
9. Class U and S vehicles must run the same type engine and transmission as provided by the factory.
10. Class S vehicles are not otherwise subject to other performance rules. Yes, you may turbo the engine. Yes you may swap to a carbon fibre hood or doors etc. Yes you may install larger brakes. Performance and weight changes will affect where in the S class you will run.

In short, U and S classes require the inside and the outside to still look and function like a daily driver with all the creature comforts as originally designed by the factory. If you want to make an actual "race car", move to the P class, and follow those rules.
=== end of Class U and S changes ====

Finally, the benefit of allowing no roll cages (but mandate the Break Out Limit) in P and Formula Libre opens those classes to participation by miscreants like me who show up with un-resolvable cross-class restrictions. I ask you why does my 2:55 up Burke require a cage in any class???

I think these changes will reach the original intentions of NEHA without sacrificing a single safety concern. Nor will these changes prevent any 2019 vehicle from running in 2020. For instance, an unusual car such as Greg's 660x "Withoutback" would move from S3 to P3 where he would still be competitive, just for one example.

Thank you for your consideration, and thank you for running fabulously fun events for mere mortals such as I,

David Singer, SCCNH member
Berlin NH
Silver Focus SVT #49x
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: 2020 Break Out Rule in Every Class, changes U & S

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I read through you write up. Very interesting views that will warrant more discussion as we approach the rules meeting in February.

One opinion.... we should never require cars to have an inspection sticker. The way the rule is written is so that everyone can play by the same rules... just needs to be able to pass the VT safety inspection.

For a real inspection, someone will now have to pay for the actual inspection, have the car registered, and pay for insurance (depending on the state). That adds cost to our form of racing.

My car isn't street legal because of a few things... surprising, one of the things is the fact that I have a cage. Canada is the same... you have a cage, you don't have a street legal car.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com