Acutney II (2009)

Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: Acutney II (2009)

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I got to drive it down to the store and back last night. I almost got to 2000 RPMs. Almost. :?

I'm driving it to work tomorrow as we are giving it back to the dealer for a couple of days. I wonder what Subbie I will be driving home? Something really sporty like the, what for it, the Outback.

Looking forward to Ascutney. I was watching one of my typical 5 mile (per the odometer) runs up the hill. :cry:
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
honda#72

Re: Acutney II (2009) # of Runs

Post by honda#72 »

Are we going to try to do two large groups , instead of one large and one small, that didn't work so well in the spring. The road is longer and as a result things take longer, but there is no reason we can't speed things up and be a little more organized at Ascutney. Its a great road, so I would like to see everyone get the same seat time that we seem to be able to get at the other hills.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

honda#72 wrote:Are we going to try to do two large groups , instead of one large and one small, that didn't work so well in the spring. The road is longer and as a result things take longer, but there is no reason we can't speed things up and be a little more organized at Ascutney. Its a great road, so I would like to see everyone get the same seat time that we seem to be able to get at the other hills.
I will leave the statistics of even versus uneven group performance up to anyone with data. It may be real or a red herring, but I will bet opinions abound.

When the KSCC met at Okemo 1 on that Saturday, there was a lot of discussion and dissatisfaction with the few runs at Ascutney 1 and the club took several steps to address the issue for the KSCC run events (Okemo and Burke). While the Ascutney event is run by SCCNH and not KSCC, a lot of the membership and participants are the same so I hope some of it rubs off on the Ascutney organizing team as well. We cant control the weather and that is often responsible for delays and fewer runs, but there were a number of things in our control and as was demonstrated at Okemo (after that meeting) and both Burkes it is possible to make a difference.

One of the big difference makers is having drivers in both groups ready to go when their group is up, whether the groups are evenly split or not. That means not just being in line but buckled up and ready to race when they are on deck.
The older I get the better I was.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I have the data but I'm not choosing to spend the time analyzing it. My opinion is that no time is saved by making the B group smaller and there is potential to lose time. No time is saved because either way the same number of cars go up and down the hill. If you have two groups it doesn't matter how you split them it will take the same amount of time. The cars don't go up or down the hill any faster.

It is however possible to lose time if the B group only contains double drivers. The reason for this is the double drivers need time to swap. It takes a bit of time for prepared driver to swap and even for an U or S car it still takes some time. Also the B driver might not be able to get right in line. Maybe the car needs fuel or needs some other adjustment. If the B group contains only double drivers then we can't start running cars until at least some of them are ready. If however the B group contains at least a few non double drivers and they are lined up and ready to go then we can start the B group as soon as the last car in A group gets down.

Another problem is that if there are only a few double drivers and B group contains only double drivers we end up denying a double driver a run if they can't be ready in 5 minutes but the A group drivers have an hour to get ready. When I was double driving with Ray in the old modifed I was once told I was too late to get my run. All we did was swap drivers and adjust tire pressures (this was at Bolton not Ascutney). Spliting the groups evenly gives everyone the same amount of time.
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

I agree with Kevin, I know that no matter what size the groups are it still takes the same amount of time to go up and down. The problem surfaces when the difference in time between A and B groups varies so much. When there is a drastic size differnce it creates a problem when people are trying to get there car ready and line up. You may be sitting at the top for an hour, and when you get to the bottom you have only a few moments while the small group runs. This then causes delays in the larger group. I think the solution is to try to do two nearly equally size groups, and for all of us to take a lesson from Jimi in getting to the line and being ready for your run.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
jkale

Post by jkale »

honda#72 wrote:Are we going to try to do two large groups , instead of one large and one small, that didn't work so well in the spring. The road is longer and as a result things take longer, but there is no reason we can't speed things up and be a little more organized at Ascutney. Its a great road, so I would like to see everyone get the same seat time that we seem to be able to get at the other hills.
KSCC did a great job at their 4 events this year maximizing seat time, I am really hoping SCCNH will do the same..

..and I really really hope that when the sun is shining and its mid afternoon, the hill does not get shut down like it did before... :roll:
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
Kiwi

Post by Kiwi »

and I am really hoping that I have a car with a cage to drive. (Unlike last Ascutney when I was sent home for being a bad boy...)

James / kiwi
--
Jamie Melhuish
Dave Burden

Post by Dave Burden »

For those that want to help out on Friday, the wire crew should be set to go around noon. We could use 1 or 2 more people for that, because more than 4 or so and it gets messy. We do, however, need a pickup truck to use for the wire set up and take down. If anyone can help out with a truck, please let me know.

Another good way to check out the hill is with the equipment and sign setup, also on Friday afternoon. The more the merrier with this. Of course, another truck is needed, if it's done concurrent with the wire crew.

I did attend Okemo II with an eye to the timing of the runs and groups. We will try a more even split to the run groups this time. There are other factors that make each hill unique, but getting more runs is a goal.

Dave (Ascutney chair)
603-558-1553 - cell
jkale

Post by jkale »

Im hoping to get down there friday afternoon.. It all depends on what I have going on here at the shop... If I do make it down in time, and Im going to try, I would gladly help with the setup so I can learn this road a little better.

Glad to hear run count is a priority now!!!
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

ill probably be up there early enough to help with signs and equipment set up