Ascutney 2009

sachilles

Re: Ascutney 2009

Post by sachilles »

Bummer, bummer, bummer.
I know Chris has other car options for SLMP, what about you?
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
jkale

Post by jkale »

I have a few options.
Pretty sure I have my problem figured out... water in my gas.
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

It was great seeing everyone this weekend-and from the perspective of worker/spectator rather than a racer. Really glad to see Jerry back + also Uriah.
Our day turned out to be reeeaallly long--like 22 1/2 hours worth. :o We were up at 4:30 am to leave by 5-so we would be there in time for the workers meeting. After the day ended ,we got inline to do the TSD thing. With only 52hp on tap, I knew we weren't gonna have to worry about running too fast-as a matter of fact I had to use 1st a couple of times! Turns out you CAN run the whole hill without ever lifting. The steam cloud at the top of the hill wasn't a good sign....
After filling the car with water at the bottom, we left at 7:30 for the ride home. By the time we were on the hiway, the temp gauge climbed rapidly. We limped it to exit 7 + pulled into the back of the gas station--of course by now it was raining. Michele was running back + forth to the bathroom filling water jugs. After an hour of screwing with it trying to get it to burp + run a steady temp, we called Victor + Glenda-they came out with tools + water jugs. While waiting for them to show, I saw a drip from one of the hoses to the water pump. We decided that it was best to bring it to Vic's + try to fix it there. The hose was relatively easy to get to (by VW's standards anyways) = once off you could see a hole in it. Using our best McGuiver skills had us take a section of copper pipe + make a sleeve to go in the hose at the bad area. R+R only burned a few knuckles-so not too bad. We filled with water+ tried to burp out the air-couldnt get the fan on of heat to come out. Repeat process--repeat process--again + again. ( My car uses coolant to heat up everything in the veggie system-so water comes out of the head-goes to a heat exchanger-a coil around a filter-all the way to the trunk of the car-thru another coil-back to the front of the car-and then into the heater core.) FINALLY got the air out (or said screw it it's late) + headed home. Parinoia had me have one eye on the temp gauge the whole ride-it woud run a bit higher than normal + the water level was stayiung the few times I stopped to check. Arrivial at home: 3 am. :x

"Sunday turned into a 4.5 hour hillclimb(didnt start till 11and ended at 3:30) with an hour lunchbreak in the middle.. ."

I had one year where I was home in Ct by 4:30--with the sun shining!! 2 runs in the morning- line us up after lunch-decide to pull the plug with the sun out at 1 pm. :twisted:
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
jkale

Post by jkale »

sdwarf36 wrote:
"Sunday turned into a 4.5 hour hillclimb(didnt start till 11and ended at 3:30) with an hour lunchbreak in the middle.. ."

I had one year where I was home in Ct by 4:30--with the sun shining!! 2 runs in the morning- line us up after lunch-decide to pull the plug with the sun out at 1 pm. :twisted:
WHAT? WHY?
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Good question-the road was dryer than it had been all weekend-chairs decision. Fall '06 I believe.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
jkale

Post by jkale »

The ratio of actual driving time compared to available driving time this weekend really discouraged a few people that I know of from coming back to Ascutney in the future. Especially since when it finally got nice out on Sunday, they called it quits.
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I don't know if there was time to get everyone through again on Sunday. I think the final runs were done by 4:00ish (run A was done at 3:30). I'm unsure how long it takes to get the runs through (45 cars at 2 minutes each [outside time of 4 minutes, half way at 2 mins/start next car] would be 1.5 hours). Assuming no issues on the hill.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
jkale

Post by jkale »

I watched the clock closely throughout the day because me and Chris were discussing # of runs per event... Workers were back on the hill and the first car ran at 1:43 after lunch. The bringdown of the wrecker crew, double drivers, and Alex was at 3:15. So, with some mishaps and delays, it took 1.5 hours to run everyone up and down. Another run should have been in the forecast.
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
Dave Burden

Post by Dave Burden »

Calling the event after two runs on Sunday was a close decision. We try to wrap up timed runs no later than 4pm on Sunday because of the time involved picking up the hill. Saturday we can run later because all we have to do is pick up the radios. The wire is laid out Friday, so very little time is spent on hill equipment on Saturday.

As it was, Drew and George were not on the road home until 7pm Sunday. If we ran another round, add at least 1.5 hours to that. Obviously the rain Sunday morning delayed the start, and I have a few ideas to speed up lunch for the fall event.

BTW, thanks for chipping in and working on the hill Joey.

Dave
jkale

Post by jkale »

No problem Dave. I had a great time at check 4.

We were actually talking about lunch delivery service to the checkpoint workers.
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790